Northtown Mall (Blaine, Minnesota)
|No. of stores and services||100|
|No. of anchor tenants||5|
|Total retail floor area||621,109 sf (excludes Home Depot)|
|No. of floors||1|
Northtown Mall is a shopping mall located in Blaine, Minnesota, United States. Currently, the mall features Herberger's, Best Buy, The Home Depot and Burlington Coat Factory as anchors. In addition, Northtown Mall features over 100 stores and restaurants, as well as a food court and Paladin Career and Technical High School public charter school which was open in September 2002. The mall is owned by WP Glimcher. Over 5.5 million people visit the mall every year.
The mall opened in 1972 with 33 stores, and was originally anchored by Montgomery Ward, Powers Dry Goods and Woolworth. MainStreet was added as a fifth anchor in 1983 and by 1988, the short-lived MainStreet chain's stores were converted to Kohl's. Powers Dry Goods was converted to Donaldson's when the Powers chain was purchased. The old Woolworth's was divided between HomePlace and Best Buy in the late 1990s, the same year that a food court was added to the mall. Donaldson's would later be converted to Carson Pirie Scott, then later to Mervyn's, and after Mervyns left Minnesota, to Herberger's.
Additional anchor changes
In 2001, HomePlace and Montgomery Ward closed the last of their stores; HomePlace was replaced with Steve & Barry's in 2003. Three years later, Kohl's relocated outside the mall; the same year, Mervyn's closed its Twin Cities locations. (The Mervyn's at Northtown Mall was the highest-performing Mervyn's in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area.) Kohl's has been replaced with Burlington Coat Factory, which opened in 2005.
In 2007, LA Fitness was added to the mall as part of a renovation. This store displaced mall retail space. Also, the former Montgomery Ward has been demolished, and The Home Depot has been built on the site of the former store; however, Home Depot does not open out into the mall itself.
On January 23, 2008 Bon-Ton announced that they will be opening a Herberger's in the former Mervyn's location. The store opened on September 10, 2008. The store assumes an anchor position in the mall once occupied by Carson Pirie Scott, which today is a corporate sibling of Herberger's. A Spirit Halloween store opened in September 2009.
There is a renovation that started in August 2014 and will last to fall 2015. New Hobby Lobby store opened in 2015 with 55,000 square feet floor area.
- "404: Page Not Found - WP GLIMCHER" (PDF).
- http://www.mallsandstores.info/minnesota---mn/593-northtown-mall.html, Northtown Mall details, information, sales & events
- http://www.startribune.com/535/v-print/story/1044148.html Hot Property
- http://www.secinfo.com/dsbzp.94e.c.htm SEC Info: Midwest Real Estate Shopping Center LP · 10-Q · For 3/31/96 · EX-99
- http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/forums/film-props-models/12952-model-webbstanwyck-film.html, The model from the WebbStanwyck film
- http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2004/07/05/story2.html Kohl's joins Mervyn's in leaving Northtown. (page 1)
- http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2004/07/05/story2.html?page=2 Kohl's joins Mervyn's in leaving Northtown (page 2)
- http://www.abcnewspapers.com/2007/February/8fit.html City approves fitness club use permit at Northtown Mall
- http://www.ci.blaine.mn.us/_InsideCityHall/_NewsAndFeatures/_2006/_01/NorthtownMallUpdate_Home.htm Northtown Mall update
- http://investors.bonton.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=289059 The Bon-Ton Stores, Inc. Announces New Herberger's for Blaine, Minnesota Location
- "BIZ OPENING: HOBBY LOBBY". Retrieved 14 January 2016.