Northumberland County Cricket Club
The team is currently a member of the Minor Counties Championship Eastern Division and plays in the MCCA Knockout Trophy. Northumberland played List A matches occasionally from 1971 until 2005 but is not classified as a List A team per se.
- Minor Counties Championship (0) - ; shared (0) -
- MCCA Knockout Trophy (1) - 2006
Cricket probably reached Northumberland during the 18th century. According to Bowen, the earliest reference to cricket in the county was in 1766.
Origin of club
A county organisation existed in 1834. The present Northumberland CCC was founded in December 1895 and joined the Minor Counties Championship in the second season of the competition, 1896. It has remained there ever since with the exception of 1898, when it did not compete.
Northumberland has never won the Minor Counties Championship.
Northumberland won the MCCA Knockout Trophy for the first time in August 2006, beating Dorset in the final.
The following Northumberland cricketers made an impact on the first-class game:
- Leslie Townsend
- Stan Worthington
- Eddie Phillipson
- Colin Atkinson
- Jack van Geloven
- Norman Graham
- Ben Harmison
- "List A events played by Northumberland". CricketArchive. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- Rowland Bowen, Cricket: A History of its Growth and Development, Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1970
- G B Buckley, Fresh Light on 18th Century Cricket, Cotterell, 1935
- E W Swanton (editor), Barclays World of Cricket, Guild, 1986
- Playfair Cricket Annual – various editions
- Wisden Cricketers' Almanack – various editions
|This article about a cricket team in England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|