Northview High School (Dothan, Alabama)
|Northview High School|
|3209 Reeves Street
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Dothan City Schools|
|Color(s)||Cardinal and Vegas gold|
Northview High School is a public co-educational institution encompassing grades 9 to 12. The high school is located in the southeastern portion of the state of Alabama in Dothan, and has the 36th-largest high school student population in the state. The school won two football state titles during the 1980s.
Northview is part of an active traditional football rivalry with crosstown Dothan High School. This was highlighted in a commencement speech First Lady Laura Bush gave at nearby Enterprise High School on May 31, 2008, when she mentioned Northview and Dothan as significant victories for Enterprise.
In 2002, former University of Alabama head football coach Mike DuBose took over as head football coach at Northview High School. He had previously been named Southeastern Conference Coach of the Year for the Crimson Tide before poor seasons and personal controversy caused his firing in 2000. Dothan City school board members voted to hire DuBose, who came in with a wave of publicity and high expectations. However, the Cougars finished with an 0–10 record for the season and DuBose was gone at the end of the year.
This was part of a tumultuous period for Northview football, which saw 39 consecutive losses from 2000 to 2004. The team had won the Alabama State Playoff Championships in both 1981 and 1985, and made it to the playoffs five times during the 1990s.
Clubs and organizations
Northview High School also offers a wide variety of clubs including:
- Chemistry Club
- Debate Club
- Robo Club
- First Priority
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
- Interclub Council
- Multicultural Club
- Habitat For Humanity
- Key Club
- Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD)
- Choral Officers & Reps
- Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
- Art Club
- French Club
- Future Teachers of America (FTA)
- Government Club
- Bible Discussion Group
- Spanish Club
- Drama Club
- National Honor Society
- Junior Class
- Senior Class
- Chess Club
- Student Government Association (SGA)
- Lawrence Dawsey – All-American football player from Florida State University and former NFL player (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) part of state championship at Northview in 1985
- Gabe Gross – college football and baseball at Auburn University and professional baseball player (Tampa Bay Rays)
- Kevin Jackson – All-American defensive back at Alabama in 1996
- Izell Reese – former NFL player for the Dallas Cowboys
- Larry Roberts – former NFL player, part of state championship at Northview in 1981. He won two Super Bowl championships, 1989 and 1990 with the San Francisco 49ers
- Clint Robinson, Current MLB player (Washington Nationals)
- Jamie Thomas – professional skateboarder and entrepreneur (dropped out before graduation)
- "Contact". Northview High School. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- Columbus Ledger-Enquirer (May 1, 2002). "DUBOSE LANDS AT NORTHVIEW HIGH SCHOOL". Associated Press. Retrieved June 13, 2008.
- Bush, Laura (May 30, 2008). "Mrs. Bush's Remarks in Enterprise High School Commencement Address". Retrieved June 13, 2008.
- Brasher, Bryan (October 19, 2002). "Starting again, former Tide coach DuBose vows to fight on". Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. Retrieved June 13, 2008.
- ASHFHS.org. "Alabama High School Football Historical Society". ASHFHS.org. Retrieved June 13, 2008.
- "NHS Clubs and Organizations". Retrieved 9 August 2012.