Northwest High School (Montgomery County, Maryland)
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2007)|
|Northwest High School|
|13501 Richter Farm Road
Germantown, Maryland, 20874
|Motto||Do your best, and the best will come back to you.|
|School district||Montgomery County Public Schools|
|Principal||Eileen Lancellotti Dempsey|
|Color(s)||Black, Silver, and White|
Northwest High School (NWHS) is a public high school in Germantown, Maryland. Northwest High School is part of the Montgomery County Public Schools public school system. As of 2006, its enrollment was over 2,000 students. It is one of two high schools in Germantown, the other being Seneca Valley High School, with which Northwest shares an athletic rivalry. The school also serves small sections of the cities of Gaithersburg and Darnestown. The school underwent an expansion project that was completed during the summer of 2006. Northwest's school mascot is the jaguar and its colors are black, silver and white.
Northwest High School offers a number of honors and Advanced Placement courses along with French and Spanish languages. The school is competitive academically, with average SAT scores above the national mean.
Northwest hosts the Ulysses Signature Program which is a four-year research-based program in which students develop projects focused on one of the Ulysses Project themes: Arts and Humanities; Public Policy and Public Service; and/or Math, Science and Technology. Students are recommended for the rigorous research program as freshman and remain in the program throughout their senior year.
- Edward Shirley (1998-2002)
- Sylvia Morrison (2002-2009)
- Eileen "E. Lance" Lancellotti Dempsey (2009–present)
Students attending Northwest come from parts of Germantown, parts of Boyds, portions of Gaithersburg, Darnestown and very small portions of Poolesville and Potomac. Northwest is fed by three area middle schools and eight area elementary schools in the following feeder patterns:
- Kingsview MS (grades 6-8): Great Seneca Creek (K-5), Ronald McNair ES (pre-K-5), Spark M. Matsunaga ES (K-5)
- Lakelands Park MS (grades 6-8) (split articulation with Quince Orchard Cluster): Darnestown ES (K-5), portions of Diamond ES (K-5)
- Roberto Clemente MS (grades 6-8) (split articulation with Seneca Valley Cluster): Clopper Mill ES (pre-K-5), Germantown ES (K-5), Great Seneca Creek (K-5)
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (November 2013)|
All teams have varsity and junior varsity teams with the exception of tennis, golf, hockey, swim and dive, indoor track and field, poms, and boys/coed volleyball. JV lacrosse teams were recently added to Montgomery County athletics in 2008.
Northwest High School has sports rivalries, particularly in football, with neighboring Seneca Valley High School, and Quince Orchard High School. The annual football game between Northwest and Seneca Valley is known as "The Battle for the King's Trophy" or the "Battle for Germantown".
Extracurricular activities and organizations
- Airsoft/Milsim Club
- Break dance Team
- Chess Team
- Debate Team
- Drama Club
- FRC Robotics Team
- FTC Robotics Team
- Forensics Team
- Gay Straight Alliance (GSA)
- Hip-hop Dance Team
- Hockey Team
- It's Academic Team
- Improv Team
- Student Government Association (SGA)
- Class Office
- Jewish Student Association
- Men's Ensemble
- Math Team
- Mock Trial Club
- Model United Nations
- Mountain Biking Club
- Muslim Student Association (MSA)
- Naval Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (Held at neighboring Seneca Valley High School)
- Mia Khalifa (Class of 2011), the most popular adult actress on the website Pornhub as of February 2015
- Anwar Phillips (Class of 2001), American football cornerback, Penn State Nittany Lions, New Orleans Saints, and Baltimore Ravens
- Joe Young (safety) (Class of 2006), formerly Joe Lefeged, American Football safety
- "2008-2009 SAT Overall Mean Scores" (PDF). Maryland State Department of Education. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- "Total Group Profile Report" (PDF). CollegeBoard. p. 1. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- "Local School Signature Programs". Montgomery County Public Schools. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- "Northwest Seniors Unveil Research Projects". Gazette. 20 January 2010. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- Taylor, Andre L. (July 22, 2009). "NW principal sets high expectations: Former Shady Grove Middle School principal meets parents and students". The Gazette. Gaithersburg, Maryland: Post-Newsweek Media, Inc. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- Montgomery County Public Schools (June 25, 2002). "Highlights of the June 24 Meeting of the Board of Education". Montgomery County Public Schools. 850 Hungerford Drive, Rockville, Maryland: Montgomery County Public Schools. Retrieved August 9, 2009.
- "Northwest High School 2010-2011 Service Area" (PDF). Montgomery County Public Schools. 20 September 2010. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- Official website
- Northwest statistics from MCPS
- Northwest High School at the Wayback Machine (archived October 6, 1999)