Northwest High School (Texas)
|Northwest High School|
2301 Texan Drive|
Justin, Texas 76247
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Northwest Independent School District|
|Athletics conference||UIL Class 5A|
|Website||Northwest High School|
Northwest High School is a public high school located in far northern Fort Worth, Texas, with a Justin postal address. Located in southwest Denton County and classified as a 5A school by the UIL, it is a part of the Northwest Independent School District. The school is located southwest of Texas State Highway 114 and Farm to Market Road 156, about a mile west of the Texas Motor Speedway, and two miles north of Fort Worth Alliance Airport. In 2013, the school was rated "Academically Acceptable" by the Texas Education Agency.
It is one of four schools in the nation to feature an indoor coffee shop. (Byron Nelson High School, the district's other high school, is one of the remaining three.) It also has both a Subway and Pizza Hut in the cafeteria. Students can choose their courses from 60 subjects. Northwest High School offers many Advanced Placement classes. All of the students at the high school have the option to rent a chromebook for school use as of the 2016-2017 school year. Northwest was named a 2001-02 National Blue Ribbon School.
Northwest ISD was created in 1948 when the communities of Haslet, Justin, Rhome and Roanoke met to consolidate their school districts into one. The community of Fairview was added to the district the next year. Construction began in 1950 on a consolidated high school.
The middle schools that feed into Northwest High School are:
- Gene Pike Middle School
- Chisolm Trail Middle School
- Truett Wilson Middle School
Gene Pike Middle School is an America's Choice School.
The Northwest Texans compete in volleyball, cross country, football, basketball, powerlifting, wrestling, swimming, soccer, golf, tennis, track, baseball, softball, ping pong, drill/dance team and cheerleading.
- Tyler Collins – outfielder for the Kansas City Royals
- Mark Followill – sports announcer, primarily for the Dallas Mavericks.
- Laina Morris – internet personality
- Jared Retkofsky – former long snapper for the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Chester Rushing – featured role in the Netflix original series Stranger Things
- Jordan Wall – played Joe Talbot in the children's public television show Wishbone (1998).
- Dustin May – baseball player, 3rd round selection for the Los Angeles Dodgers (2016–present)
- "NORTHWEST H S". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 22, 2017.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Fort Worth city, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on December 13, 2016. Index map, Map page 3 showing detail around Northwest HS
- Home. Northwest High School. Retrieved on December 13, 2016. "2301 Texan Drive Justin, TX 76247"
- "2013 Accountability Rating System". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 2013-06-15.
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program, Schools Recognized 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002.( (PDF)
- "School Information". nisdtx.org. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- "Schools - The Athletics Department .com". theathleticsdepartment.com. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
|This article about a high school in Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|