Northwest Missouri State Bearcats
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Northwest Missouri State Bearcats|
|University||Northwest Missouri State University|
|Athletic director||Mel Tjeerdsma|
|Football stadium||Bearcat Stadium|
|Basketball arena||Bearcat Arena|
|Mascot||Bobby the Bearcat|
|Colors||Bearcat Green and White
The Northwest Missouri State Bearcats are the athletic teams for Northwest Missouri State University, located in Maryville, Missouri. The Bearcats play in the NCAA Division II. Northwest is a founding member of the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association in 1912 and has remained in the conference ever since. From its founding until 1937 it competed in the Amateur Athletic Union. From 1937 to 1957 it competed in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. In 1957 it joined NCAA Division II. Northwest has appeared in eight Division II football title games (winning four) since 1998. The men's basketball team appeared in an AAU title game in 1930.
Northwest offers the following sports:
Northwest has appeared in one national title and two Elite 8 title games.
Head coach Michael Smith finished his second season at Northwest Missouri State after the 2014–15 season, with a total record of 18–37. Since 1971, the women's basketball team has a combined record of 667–533.
Bearcat Stadium (formerly Memorial Stadium and Rickenbrode Stadium) is the football stadium of the Northwest Missouri State University Bearcats in Maryville, Missouri and is the oldest continuous site for any NCAA Division II school. The Stadium was originally opened in 1917 as Memorial Stadium. It has a capacity of 6,500 and had lights and FieldTurf installed in the summer of 2007.
The Arena is in Lamkin Activity Center, a part of the Ryland Milner Complex and is located between Bearcat Stadium on the west and the Martindale Gymnasium and the Robert P. Foster Aquatic Center on the east.
- NWMSU Athletics Brand Standards Guide (PDF). 2014-04-29. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- "Northwest Missouri State University - Football Year by Year Results". bearcatsports.com.
- "Northwest Missouri State University - MBB NCAA Postseason History". bearcatsports.com.
- "Northwest Missouri State University - Staff Directory". bearcatsports.com.
- "Northwest Missouri State University - Women's Basketball Coaching Records". bearcatsports.com.
- Plummer, William; Floyd, Larry C. (2013). A Series Of Their Own: History Of The Women's College World Series. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States: Turnkey Communications Inc. ISBN 978-0-9893007-0-4.
- Northwest Missouri State University. "Northwest Museums". nwmissouri.edu.
- "Northwest Missouri State University - Bearcat Arena". bearcatsports.com.