Northwestern Polytechnic University
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (January 2016)|
|Location||Fremont, California, USA|
Coordinates:  Northwestern Polytechnic University (NPU) is a non-profit private institution of higher education located in Fremont, California, USA. The school, founded in 1984, awards Bachelor's, Master's and Doctorate degrees in science, technology and management.
School of Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Systems Engineering
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Master of Science in Computer Systems Engineering
- Doctor of Computer Engineering
School of Business
- Bachelor of Business Administration and Information Sciences
- Master of Business Administration
- Doctor of Business Administration
NPU is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) to issue the above degrees. NPU's ACICS accreditation is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. The current scope of accreditation for ACICS, as approved by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, includes diploma programs and degree programs through the master's degree.
NPU is recognized by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) as an institution exempted from the rules and regulations under the California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009 based on qualifications under section 94874(j).
The NPU campus is located in Fremont, California. The campus buildings house the classrooms, administrative and faculty offices, the library, labs and other student facilities. NPU offers limited student housing in its university dormitories located within walking distance of the campus.
- Administrative Building
- East (Engineering) Building
- North Building
- OEC Building
- South (Business) Building
- West (Library) Building
Northwestern Polytechnic University (NPU) was founded by Dr. Ramsey Carter and Dr. Barbara Brown on January 2, 1984 and incorporated as a California nonprofit, public-benefit institution. Responding to strong demand in Silicon Valley for qualified engineers, the School of Engineering began granting Bachelor of Science degrees in electrical engineering in November 1984, followed by the Master of Science in electrical engineering in 1985. NPU opened the Computer Systems Engineering programs at both the bachelor's and master's levels in 1987. February 23, 1989 marked a milestone for the university as NPU attained full institutional approval from the California Department of Education.
The School of Business was established in 1995, offering the Master of Business Administration and Bachelor of Business Administration and Information Sciences degrees. At the same time, the School of Engineering continued to expand its programs by offering bachelor's and master's degrees in Computer Science. In January 1998, the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) accredited NPU to award bachelor's and master's degrees. In April 2005, ACICS accredited NPU to award two doctorate degree programs: Doctor of Business Administration and Doctor of Computer Engineering.
Dr. George Hsieh, serving as NPU's President since 1991, retired as of September 1, 2015.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Northwestern Polytechnic University
- ACICS Member Directory Search
- National Center for Educations Statistics College Navigator
- U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs
- Council for Higher Education Accreditation Database of institutions Accredited by Recognized U.S. Accrediting Organizations
- Letter from Eduardo M. Ochoa, Assistant Secretary, Office of Postsecondary Education
- California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009
- Retirement of Dr. George Hsieh