Northwestern Polytechnic University
Northwestern Polytechnic University (NPU) is a private, non profit university in Fremont, California. Founded in 1984, the university awards bachelor's and master's degrees in computer science, engineering, technology and management programs.
NPU was founded by Dr. Ramsey Carter and Dr. Barbara Brown in 1984. Dr. George Hsieh served as the University’s president from 1991 to 2015. As of 2022, the school has been renamed as San Francisco Bay University.
Northwestern Polytechnic University (NPU) was founded by Dr. Ramsey Carter and Dr. Barbara Brown on January 2, 1984 and incorporated as a California nonprofit, public-benefit institution. The School of Engineering began granting Bachelor of Science degrees in electrical engineering in November 1984, followed by the Master of Science in electrical engineering in 1985. In 1987, NPU opened the Computer Systems Engineering programs at both the bachelor's and master's levels.
Two years later, on February 23, 1989 the university attained full institutional approval from the California Department of Education.
In 1995, NPU established its School of Business.
In 1991, Dr. George Hsieh began serving as NPU's president.
In 2015, Dr. Hsieh retired.
In 2016, a BuzzFeed news article questioned the operations of the university during the period in its history of its high (more than 6,000 in 2015) proportion of international students from India.
In 2018, the institution's accreditation was renewed.
In 2019, a San Jose Mercury News article was published outlining that NPU had continued to meet its job placement compliance requirements and the warning was removed by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools.
In 2021, the NPU changed its name to San Francisco Bay University. 
NPU has been accredited continuously since 1998, presently by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC/WASC). The Commission on English Language Program Accreditation accredits NPU's Intensive English Program.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Northwestern Polytechnic University
- "San Francisco Bay University". WSCUC. Retrieved 2022-02-19.
- Retirement of Dr. George Hsieh
- Molly Hensley-Clancy (May 26, 2016). "Inside The College That Abolished The F and Raked In The Cash". Buzzfeed. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- Baron, Ethan (September 14, 2018). "Bay Area school slammed as 'visa mill' gets OK from accreditor". The Mercury News. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- "Fremont tech university in compliance over job placements, accreditor says". The Mercury News. 2019-06-19. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- "Certificate of Amendment of Article of Incorporation". California Secretary of State. 2021-07-23. Retrieved 2022-08-04.
- web_admin (2015-01-07). "Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.)". www.npu.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- web_admin (2014-12-22). "Master of Science in Computer Science (MSCS)". www.npu.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- web_admin (2014-04-24). "Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE)". www.npu.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- web_admin (2015-01-06). "Bachelor of Business Administration and Information Sciences (BBAIS)". www.npu.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- web_admin (2014-12-22). "Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS)". www.npu.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- "Statement of Accreditation Status, Northwestern Polytechnic University". WASC Senior College and University Commission. Retrieved 1 March 2021.
- "CEA Accredited Sites". Commission on English Language Program Accreditation. Retrieved 1 March 2021.
- "Northwestern Polytechnic University Intensive English Program Granted Accreditation by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA)". Yahoo! Finance. January 19, 2021. Retrieved 1 March 2021.