Northwestern Polytechnic University
The neutrality of this article is disputed. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Fremont, California, United States|
Coordinates:  Northwestern Polytechnic University (NPU) is a non-profit, unaccredited private institution of higher education located in Fremont, California, United States. The school, founded in 1984, awards bachelor's, master's, and doctor's degrees in science, technology and management.
School of Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Systems Engineering
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Master of Science in Computer Systems Engineering
- Doctor of Computer Engineering
School of Business
- Bachelor of Business Administration and Information Sciences
- Master of Business Administration
- Doctor of Business Administration
Northwestern Polytechnic University (NPU) was founded by Dr. Ramsey Carter and Dr. Barbara Brown on January 2, 1984 and incorporated as a California nonprofit, public-benefit institution. The School of Engineering began granting Bachelor of Science degrees in electrical engineering in November 1984, followed by the Master of Science in electrical engineering in 1985. NPU opened the Computer Systems Engineering programs at both the bachelor's and master's levels in 1987. On February 23, 1989 NPU attained full institutional approval from the California Department of Education.The School of Business was established in 1995. Dr. George Hsieh, serving as NPU's President since 1991, retired as of September 1, 2015.
NPU's ACICS accreditation was formerly recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. ACICS was derecognized by the United States Department of Education on December 12, 2016. It is approved to receive Title IV funding under a provisional Program Participation Agreement (PPA) for 18 months beginning December 12, 2016 while it is seeking a new federally recognized accreditor.
A recent investigation by Buzzfeed has brought into question the operations of the university, especially in light of its high (more than 6,000 in 2015) proportion of international students from India.
- "ACICS Loss of Accreditation Recognition". Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Northwestern Polytechnic University
- Retirement of Dr. George Hsieh
- U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs
- "Important Information on the Derecognition of ACICS". U.S. Department of Education. US Government. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- Molly Hensley-Clancy (May 26, 2016). "Inside The College That Abolished The F and Raked In The Cash". Buzzfeed. Retrieved October 17, 2016.