Northwestern Polytechnic University
The neutrality of this article is disputed. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
NPU North Building
Northwestern Polytechnic University (NPU) is a private university in Fremont, California. Founded in 1984, the university awards bachelor's and master's degrees in computer science, engineering, technology and management programs.
Northwestern Polytechnic University (NPU) was founded by Dr. Ramsey Carter and Dr. Barbara Brown on January 2, 1984 and incorporated as a California nonprofit, public-benefit institution. The School of Engineering began granting Bachelor of Science degrees in electrical engineering in November 1984, followed by the Master of Science in electrical engineering in 1985. NPU opened the Computer Systems Engineering programs at both the bachelor's and master's levels in 1987. On February 23, 1989 NPU attained full institutional approval from the California Department of Education. The School of Business was established in 1995. Dr. George Hsieh, serving as NPU's president since 1991, retired as of September 1, 2015.
In 2016, a BuzzFeed news article questioned the operations of the university during the period in its history of its high (more than 6,000 in 2015) proportion of international students from India. Despite these allegations, the institution's accreditation was renewed in 2018.
In 2019, a San Jose Mercury News article was published outlining that NPU had continued to meet its job placement compliance requirements and the warning was removed by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools.
Northwestern Polytechnic University offers the following degree programs:
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Information Sciences
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
NPU has been accredited continuously since 1998, presently by the Western Association of School and Colleges Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC/WASC). 
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Northwestern Polytechnic University
- Retirement of Dr. George Hsieh
- Molly Hensley-Clancy (May 26, 2016). "Inside The College That Abolished The F and Raked In The Cash". Buzzfeed. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- Baron, Ethan (September 14, 2018). "Bay Area school slammed as 'visa mill' gets OK from accreditor". The Mercury News. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- "Fremont tech university in compliance over job placements, accreditor says". The Mercury News. 2019-06-19. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- web_admin (2015-01-07). "Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.)". www.npu.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- web_admin (2014-12-22). "Master of Science in Computer Science (MSCS)". www.npu.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- web_admin (2014-04-24). "Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE)". www.npu.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- web_admin (2015-01-06). "Bachelor of Business Administration and Information Sciences (BBAIS)". www.npu.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- web_admin (2014-12-22). "Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS)". www.npu.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-20.