Northwoods Mall (Illinois)
|Address||2200 W. War Memorial Dr. (formerly 4501 N. War Memorial Dr.)|
|Developer||Melvin Simon & Associates|
|No. of stores and services||90|
|No. of anchor tenants||3|
|Total retail floor area||694,000 square feet|
|No. of floors||2|
Northwoods Mall opened in 1973 and was designed by architects Sidney H. Morris & Associates of Chicago, with Harold Carson Associates as the manager. The original anchor stores upon opening were Montgomery Ward, Carson Pirie Scott (now known as Carson's), and J. C. Penney. Original tenants included B. Dalton, Claire's, GNC, a Fannie May candy shop, a bank, Brown's Sporting Goods, and several restaurants.
The mall was sold to Simon Property Group in 1983. Carson's closed that same year and was replaced two years later by Famous-Barr. Also in 1983, a botulism outbreak at the mall's Skewer Inn restaurant affected 28 customers.
Montgomery Ward closed its store in the mall in 1997, and Sears occupied its space a year later. A 2005 renovation added a food court. The Famous-Barr store was re-branded as Macy's in 2006, and closed in 2016.
- "Norwoods Mall : Home PAge" (PDF). Simon.com. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "40 years of Northwoods Mall". The Peoria Chronicle. July 8, 2013. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- "Retailing". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. 1984-10-31. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Pantagraph.com | Archive". Nl.newsbank.com. 1997-09-05. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Pantagraph.com | Archive". Nl.newsbank.com. 1997-09-12. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "DailyDigest". Highbeam.com. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Merger brings Macy's to Peoria, Ill.". Highbeam.com. Retrieved 2013-10-06.