|Headquarters||Mountain View, California, United States|
|Fran Rosch, Vice President|
|Products||Data Protection, Database Security, Email & Web Security, Endpoint Protection, Mobile Security, Network Security, Risk & Compliance, Security-as-a-Service (Security SaaS), Security Management, Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)|
Norton, also known as Norton by Symantec, is a division of Symantec, and is based out of Mountain View, California. Since being acquired by the Symantec Corporation in 1990, Norton has offered a variety of products and services related to digital security. In 2014, it was announced that Norton's parent company Symantec would split its business into two units - one focused on security, and one focused on information management, with Norton being placed in the unit focused on security.
- 1 History
- 2 Products and Services
- 2.1 Consumer Products
- 2.2 Business Products
- 2.3 Other Products & Services
- 3 Past Products & Services
- 4 Product Reviews
- 5 Awards
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Peter Norton Computing, Inc., was a software company founded by Peter Norton. Norton and his company developed various DOS utilities including the Norton Utilities, which did not include antivirus features. In 1990, the company was acquired by Symantec and renamed Peter Norton Consulting Group. Symantec's consumer antivirus and data management utilities are still marketed under the Norton name.
By early 1991, Symantec's Norton Group launched Norton AntiVirus 1.0 for PC and compatible computers. Since then, the company has updated and diversified its product line until combining its offerings into one seamless product, Norton Security.
Products and Services
Norton’s products are primarily digital security tools for personal computers and server devices, and more recently, mobile devices.
Norton Security (2014)
Norton Security is a multi-device program that provides malware prevention and removal during subscription period for up to five devices. Other features included in the product are a personal firewall, email spam filtering, and phishing protection. The program was released in September 2014, replacing Norton 360, Norton Internet Security, and Norton AntiVirus. When compared to Norton legacy products, Norton Security came with improved scalability and protection and a money-back guarantee.
Norton Security with Backup (2014)
Norton Security with Backup is Norton’s premium protection for up to 10 devices. It protects PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices with a single protection plan, and includes Norton Family Premier. This product safeguards against viruses, spyware, malware, and other online attacks. It also includes up to 25GB of online storage for backing up important photos and documents from a user's devices.
Norton Family Premier
Norton Family Premier is a cloud-based parental control service, previously known as Norton Online Family. Norton Family Premier is aimed at "fostering communication" involving parents and their children's online activities.
Norton Mobile Security
Norton Mobile Security is a single-subscription, proactive protection program for smartphones and tablets. Operating across all devices, Norton Mobile Security protects the user from risky apps, safeguards online privacy, restores lost contact information, and helps recover lost or stolen devices.
Norton Small Business
Norton Small Business is a multi-device, single solution program specifically designed to secure businesses from malware, viruses, and other threats. The program manages protection for companies from one convenient web portal, covering all devices with one subscription, which can easily be expanded as the business grows.
Other Products & Services
Norton Online Backup
Norton Online Backup is a program that automatically backs up users’ digital photos, videos, music, and documents. The program lets users quickly restore their files in case of hard drive crashes, accidental deletion, computer theft, natural disasters, and other mishaps. It backs up files from up to five computers in a single subscription and lets users easily add additional secure storage space if needed.
Norton Computer Tune Up
Norton Computer Tune Up is a program that lets users restore their old computer systems, giving them like-new performance. The program uses multi-point inspection and repair service designed to restore speed and performance in place of a new computer or repair-shop work. Through Norton Computer Tune Up, Norton-certified technicians are available at all times to offer repair assistance.
- NortonLive Services
- Ultimate Helpdesk
- Computer Tune Up
- Free Virus Scan
- Norton Safe Web
- Parental Controls Software
- Password Generator
- Password Manager
Support and Downloads
- Norton Support
- Norton Update Center
- Virus Definitions & Security Updates
- Virus Removal
- Free Antivirus
- Malware Removal
- Norton Cybercrime Report
Past Products & Services
Norton Utilities (1982)
Norton Utilities is a utility software suite designed to help analyze, configure, optimize, and maintain a computer. The last version of Norton Utilities, Norton Utilities 16 for Windows XP/Vista/7/8, was released October 26, 2012.
Norton Guides (1985)
Developed and distributed by Peter Norton Computing. The guides were written by Warren Woodford for the x86 Assembly Language, C, BASIC, and Forth languages and made available to users via a TSR program that integrated with programming language editors on IBM PC-type computers. This appears to be the first example of a commercial product where programming reference information was integrated into the software development environment.
Norton AntiVirus (1991)
Norton AntiVirus was developed and distributed by Symantec, providing malware prevention and removal during a subscription period. It used signatures and heuristics to identify viruses. Other features included were email spam filtering and phishing protection.
Norton 2000 (1998)
Norton SystemWorks (1998)
Norton Internet Security (2007)
Norton Internet Security was a computer program that provided malware prevention and removal during a subscription period and used signatures and heuristics to identify viruses. Other features included were a personal firewall, email spam filtering, and phishing protection.
Norton 360 (2007)
Norton 360 was developed and marketed as an "all-in-one" computer security suite. The package included an antivirus program, a personal firewall, a phishing protection program, and a backup program. What distinguished this suite from Norton Internet Security was the inclusion of file backup and PC maintenance capabilities.
Norton Clean Sweep (2009)
Norton Clean Sweep was designed by Quarterdeck and designed to aid in the removal of installed programs on Microsoft Windows. CleanSweep was acquired by Symantec and sold as a standalone product for a period of time. It is currently unavailable from Symantec standalone and is incorporated in Norton SystemWorks.
- TechAdvisor gave Norton Security with Backup a rating of 4.5 stars of 5. Their verdict reads: “Offering excellent value with 10 licenses to cover all your devices, Norton Security with Backup also offers a strong feature set and very good protection from viruses and other malware. Recommended.”
- ExpertReviews gave Norton Security 2015 a rating of 5 of 5 stars. They concluded, “Norton Internet Security 2015 is a terrific security suite with a wide range of features. With great malware protection and equally good legitimate software recognition, it's our Best Buy for 2015.”
- NextAdvisor gave Norton Security 2015 a review of 5 stars of 5. They concluded “Norton offers PC users top-notch protection with plenty of features that will help keep your computer safe while you use the Internet, as well as a simplified interface design that is easy to navigate.”
- PCMagazine gave Norton Security a 4.5 of 5 star review and an editors’ rating of “Excellent.” They concluded that “In the modern world, centrally managed security for all of your devices is extremely valuable. Norton Security joins McAfee LiveSafe as our Editors' Choice for cross-platform multi-device security.”
- PC Antivirus Reviews gave Norton Security 2015 an overall score of 81%. They concluded, “Norton Security makes a strong comeback this year with a much better interface, good virus protection, and low resource usage.”
- In 2012, Norton by Symantec won PC Advisor’s Best Security Software award, stating that “Norton is probably the best known of all internet security products, and Symantec has stood the test of time by constantly improving its product with useful extras, both in its core engine and in the way it reports what it’s been up to.”
- In 2015, Norton by Symantec won AV-TEST’s Innovation Award for Mobile Security, stating, “Prior to the download of an app, Norton Mobile Security for Android already knows all its potential risks. It is backed by a unique system consisting of the App Advisor for Google Play and Norton Mobile Insight.”
- In 2015, Norton Mobile Security and Norton Family Premier both received PC Magazine's Editors' Choice Awards
- "Gartner Says Worldwide Security Software Market Grew 5.3 Percent in 2014".
- "Symantec to split into two companies".
- "History of Symantec Corporation – FundingUniverse". www.fundinguniverse.com.
- "Symantec to slim Norton line to single security suite".
- "Norton Security Premium - Virus Protection - Norton". us.norton.com.
- "Norton Mobile Security". us.norton.com.
- "Symantec Scales Down with Launch of Norton Small Business". 20 May 2014.
- "Norton Online Backup 25GB". us.norton.com.
- "Norton Computer Tune Up". us.norton.com.
- "Symantec Norton 2000 Protects Small Businesses and Consumers by Pinpointing Y2K Problems on Desktops, Laptops - Symantec". www.symantec.com.
- Williams, Simon. "Best-known antivirus vendor proves it's still one of the best".
- "Norton Security (2015) review".
- "NextAdvisor.com". www.nextadvisor.com. Archived from the original on 2015-07-10.
- "The Best Security Suites of 2017".
- "Norton Security Standard Review & Comparison". www.pcantivirusreviews.com.
- staff, PC Advisor. "Symantec Norton wins PC Advisor's Best Security Software of 2012 award".
- GmbH, AV-TEST. "AV-TEST – The Independent IT-Security Institute". www.av-test.org.
- "Norton Security and Antivirus (for Android)". PCMAG.