|Initial release||September 23, 2014|
22.214.171.124 / November 21, 2019
|Preview release||None [±]|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Android, iOS|
Norton Security, developed by Symantec Corporation, is a cross-platform security suite that provides subscription-based real-time malware prevention and removal in addition to identity theft protection and performance tuning tools. Other features include a personal firewall, email spam filtering, and phishing protection. Released on September 23, 2014 as part of Symantec's streamlined Norton line, it replaces the long-running Norton Internet Security as their flagship antivirus product.
In 2014, in an effort to streamline its large and confusing Norton product line, Symantec combined nine standalone Norton products into one all-purpose suite. Norton Security superseded Norton Internet Security (and the pre-2019 versions of Norton 360), with an overlapping release cycle that saw version 22 as the initial release of the former and the final release of the latter. However, version 22 of Norton 360 and Norton Internet Security were updates as opposed to full releases.
In terms of similarities and differences with its predecessors, Norton Security retained all components of Norton Internet Security (including the antivirus, firewall and identity theft components) and added the optimization tools from Norton 360.
Norton Security is available in three editions: Norton Security Standard with one license (valid for a single device), Norton Security Deluxe with five licenses and Norton Security Premium which offers ten licenses, 25 GB of hosted online backup, and a premium subscription to Symantec's parental control system. All editions include protection for Windows, OS X, Android and iOS devices. However, features may vary based on the operating system.
- Operating Systems Supported (Norton Security 126.96.36.199 for Windows)
- Microsoft Windows 7 (all versions) with Service Pack 1 (SP 1) or later
- Microsoft Windows 8/8.1 (all versions). Some protection features are not available in Windows 8 Start screen browsers.
- Microsoft Windows 10 (all versions).
- Mac Operating Systems (Norton Security 8.3 build 45 for Mac)
- macOS 10.10 or later
- Android Operating Systems (Norton Mobile Security 4.5.0 for Android)
- Android 4.1 or later
- iOS Operating Systems (Norton Security 1.1.5 for iOS)
- iOS 10 or later
- "Norton Security 188.8.131.52 for Windows is now available!". Symantec. 21 November 2019. Retrieved 9 January 2020.
- "Norton Security Compared to Old Norton Products". Norton Security Online. GoClickGo Marketing Inc. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- Kirk, Jeremy (August 18, 2014). "Symantec folds nine Norton products into one service". PC World. IDG Consumer & SMB.
- "Norton Security Premium Review". Windowsable.com. August 19, 2016.
- Rubenking, Neil J. (October 2, 2015). "Symantec Norton Security Deluxe". PC Magazine. Ziff Davis, LLC.
- "Control Versus Convenience: Consumers Weigh in on Their Own Privacy in New Norton LifeLock Report". Norton LifeLock. 27 Mar 2019.
- "Norton Security system requirements". Symantec Corporation.