Norwalk High School (Ohio)
|Norwalk High School|
350 Shady Lane Drive|
Norwalk, (Huron County), Ohio 44857
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Norwalk City Schools|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold |
|Athletics conference||Sandusky Bay Conference|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Josh Schlotterer |
Norwalk High School is a public high school in Norwalk, Ohio. It is the only public high school in the Norwalk City Schools district. The school was established in 1857 and the nickname of the school is the Truckers.
Norwalk High School is located at 350 Shady Lane and serves students in grades 9-12. Having an enrollment of approximately 800 students with about 100 of them attending EHOVE Career Center, the school has a staff of 40 teachers, 2 guidance counselors, a principal, an assistant principal and full-time or part-time support staff and teaching specialists.
Norwalk High has been accredited with North Central Association since 1912. Norwalk High is proud of its curriculum. It offers 110 course offerings in college preparatory, business, vocational, home economics, industrial arts, general courses, learning disabilities classes, Advanced Placement and tutoring. The high school also offers advanced placement courses in English, American History, U.S. Government, Calculus, Biology, French, Spanish, and Computer Science. Honors classes are also offered in English, Geometry and Algebra II. The music program includes marching band, orchestra, concert band, wind ensemble, and choir.
Norwalk High offers a wide variety of extra-curricular activities for students from sports to clubs. These include:
Football, Volleyball, Golf, Boys' & Girls' Tennis, Cross Country, Track, Softball, Baseball, Wrestling, Boys' & Girls' Bowling, Boys' & Girls' Basketball, Soccer and Swimming.
Art, Student Council, World Language, Shadow (Recycling), Key Club, FCCLA, Book Club, Focus 4:12, Firelands (Academic) Challenge, N.E.R.D Nation, Chess Club, Hacky Sack Club, and Debate Club.
In addition to the above activities, NHS. also provides: Fall, Winter and Spring Sports Awards, Academic Awards, Academic Hall of Excellence, Student of the Month, Underclassman Awards Recognition, Senior Awards Banquet, Fall/Winter & Spring Band, and Orchestra & Choir concerts.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys Football, Class AA – 1974 
- Boys Volleyball - 1989 (unsanctioned) 
- Boys Basketball, Division II – 2014 State Champions
- Girls Volleyball, Division II - 2012 Runners Up 
- Boys Track and Field 4 × 800 m Relay, Division 1 - 2014 Runners Up 
The Trucker Imprint
The Norwalk High School student newspaper is the Trucker Imprint. The paper (when first published was called the Signal) was published around the start of the 20th century until it was discontinued in the early 1980s. During the 1993-1994 school year, The N.H.S. Underground was founded and produced five editions but folded amidst the district's continued budget deficits of the early 1990s. The paper was introduced again to the high school when it moved to its new location at 350 Shady Lane in 2001.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Norwalk High School". NCES. Retrieved November 16, 2017.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 16, 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Toledo Blade. "Perrysburg second in volleyball event". Retrieved 2014-03-24.