Norwegian Bliss at Meyer Werft
|Owner:||Norwegian Cruise Line|
|Operator:||Norwegian Cruise Line|
|Port of registry:||Nassau, Bahamas|
|Builder:||Meyer Werft, Papenburg, Germany|
|Launched:||17 February, 2018|
|Sponsored by:||Elvis Duran|
|Christened:||30 May, 2018|
|Completed:||15 March, 2018|
|Acquired:||21 April, 2018|
|Maiden voyage:||2 June, 2018|
|In service:||21 April, 2018 (including positioning voyages)|
|Notes:||Designed for improved energy efficiency|
|Class and type:||Breakaway Plus-class cruise ship|
|Length:||1,094 ft (333 m)|
|Beam:||136 ft (41 m)|
|Draught:||8.70 m (28.5 ft)|
|Speed:||22.5 knots (42 km/h) (26 mph) (cruising)|
|Capacity:||4,002 passengers (at Double Occupancy)|
|Notes:||Hull art designed by Wyland|
Norwegian Bliss is a cruise ship for Norwegian Cruise Line, which entered service on April 21, 2018. The ship was built by Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany. The ship has a schedule of debuting in Alaska in June 2018, and is designed for improved energy efficiency to meet Alaska's environmental regulations.
Planning and Construction
Norwegian Cruise Line placed an order for a third Breakaway-plus cruise ship in July 2014.
Ship sponsor announced
On 29 November, 2017, It was announced that nationally-syndicated radio and digital personality Elvis Duran will sponsor Norwegian Bliss. Duran hosts the nationally syndicated morning talk radio show, Elvis Duran and the Morning Show. On-air, Duran also made the entire morning show (along with himself) "Godparents" of the ship. Duran is the second godfather to any cruise ship, only behind Wang Leehom, who sponsors sister ship Norwegian Joy.
Float-out and river conveyance
Norwegian Bliss float out was on 17 February, 2018. The ship was towed from the building dock and berth at the out-fitting pier to get her funnel.
On 15 March, 2018, Norwegian Bliss left the Meyer Werft yard, and traveled down the river Ems to Bremerhaven for her sea trials
Delivery and christening
The ship was delivered to NCL on April 21, 2018 where the CEO of NCL, Andy Stuart signed the ship documents where Norwegian Cruise Lines Holdings Limited took possession of the ship and started its inaugural later on in the day.
The ship arrived in Seattle on 30 May 2018, and was officially christened later that same day.
Following the christening, she sailed Alaska cruises with the first departure occurring on 2 June, 2018.
On 24 October 2018, on a Diverted Baja Peninsular (Originally Mexican Rivera) cruise, she visited San Diego for the first time. Upon docking, she became the largest ship to dock at the port's facilities in terms of passenger capacity and length, superseding the 2013 docking of Celebrity Solstice.
Norwegian Bliss has an overall length of 333.5 m (1,094 ft), moulded beam 41.50 m (136.2 ft) and maximum draft 9.00 m (29.53 ft). The ship has gross tonnage of 168,028 GT and deadweight of 11,700 DWT. Norwegian Bliss has 20 decks, 2,220 cabins and can carry 4,000 passengers.
The hull art for Bliss was designed by marine wildlife artist Robert Wyland. Wyland is best known for his "Whaling Wall" murals, in which he painted life-sized whales on 100 buildings all over the world.
Norwegian Bliss sailed on its inaugural cruise on 21 April 2018. The Norwegian Bliss will sail on Mexican Rivera cruises and cruises from Miami for her 2018 winter/spring season
For her 2019-2020 winter season, Norwegian Bliss will sail out on New York City, New York, replacing her sister Norwegian Escape which moves back to Miami. Norwegian Bliss will sail 7-Day cruises to the Bahamas & Florida, as well as longer cruises to the Caribbean.
Norwegian Bliss has five main engines with total output power of 102,900 hp. The vessel has two MAN B&W 14V48/60CR, each with power of 22,520 hp and three MAN B&W 12V48/60CR, each with power of 19,300 hp. The propulsion system is two ABB Azipod XO units with total power of 40 MW, which allows service speed of 22.5 kts, while the maximum speed during trials exceeds 25.0 kts. The engines are equipped with scrubbers and a heat recovery systems for improved energy efficiency.
Bliss has various themed dining areas and barsOne of the distinguishing features of Bliss is its two-story go-kart track on the top deck of the ship, making it the first cruise ship to incorporate a multi-level racing track as part of its design.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Norwegian Bliss (ship, 2018).|
- "NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE ORDERS TWO NEW SHIPS". 14 July 2016. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Steel cutting for Norwegian Bliss". 28 October 2016. Retrieved 28 October 2016.
- "NORWEGIAN BLISS". Norwegian Cruise Line. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- "Norwegian Bliss to debut in Alaska in June 2018". 14 October 2016. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Steel cutting for Norwegian Bliss" (Press release). Meyer Werft. 28 October 2016. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "Elvis Duran Named Norwegian Bliss Godfather - NCL Travel Blog". Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- Staff, CIN (2018-02-17). "Norwegian Bliss Floated Out in Germany". Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- "River Ems Conveyance of Norwegian Bliss".
- "New York, New York - Norwegian Bliss Maiden Arrival into New York City (2018)".
- "Our Adventures Aboard Norwegian Cruise Line's Bliss - Elvis Duran - Elvis Duran and the Morning Show". Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Norwegian's New Cruise Ship Largest to Ever Pass Through Panama Canal". cruisefever.net. Retrieved 2018-07-11.
- "Norwegian Bliss Christening".
- "Massive cruise ship diverts to San Diego". 10News.
- "Norwegian Cruise Line To Debut New Ship Designed For Alaska Cruising In 2018 (NASDAQ:NCLH)". Norwegian Cruise Line. 19 October 2016. Archived from the original on 19 October 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Norwegian Cruise Line Reveals Wyland's Visionary Hull Artwork for Norwegian Bliss". www.ncl.com. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Wyland Foundation's National Mayor's Challenge for Water Conservation". Wyland Foundation. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "12-Day Transatlantic from London (Southampton) | Norwegian Cruise Line". www.ncl.com. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- Staff, CIN (12 January 2018). "Bliss to Homeport in New York for Winter 2019-2020". Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Norwegian Bliss Cruise Ship Amenities | Onboard Experience | Norwegian Cruise Line". www.ncl.com. Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- "Margaritaville at Sea & The Five O'Clock Somewhere Bar | Norwegian Cruise Line". www.ncl.com. Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- "The Cavern teams up with Norwegian Cruise Lines for a 2nd time!". Cavern Club. Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- "Incredible cruise ship that's part theme park, part hotel sets sail". Mail Online. Retrieved 2018-06-19.