Norwegian Dawn departing Boston Harbor
|Name:||2002–: Norwegian Dawn|
|Owner:||Norwegian Cruise Line|
|Port of registry:||Nassau, Bahamas|
|Route:||Seven night cruises out of New Orleans, Louisiana in the Winter months, and Boston, Massachusetts in the warmer months.|
|Ordered:||9 March 1998|
|Builder:||Meyer Werft, Papenburg, Germany|
|Laid down:||29 June 1998|
|Launched:||1 June 2002|
|Completed:||3 December 2002|
|Maiden voyage:||7 December 2002|
|Class and type:||Libra-class cruise ship|
|Length:||292 m (958 ft)|
|Height:||59.5 m (195.2 ft)|
|Draught:||8.5 m (28 ft)|
|Depth:||11.5 m (38 ft)|
|Propulsion:||Two ABB Azipods (2 × 20 MW)|
|Speed:||25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph)|
The ship was completed on December 4, 2002 at the Meyer Werft Shipyard in Papenburg, Germany and sailed her maiden voyage in Europe on December 7, 2002. She was intended to operate with Star Cruises under the name SuperStar Scorpio, but it was decided that she would be delivered to Star's subsidiary, Norwegian Cruise Line as Norwegian Dawn. Norwegian Dawn was christened December 16, 2002, in an elaborate ceremony in Manhattan by actress Kim Cattrall.
Norwegian Dawn was the first NCL vessel to carry hull art. Planned as a way to promote the vessel, the concept was well received and hull art was incorporated on most other NCL vessels, with the exception of those vessels scheduled to transition out of the fleet within the next few years. Norwegian Dawn the de facto official ship of R Family Vacations, a cruise designed for gay and lesbian families.
On April 16, 2005, after sailing into rough weather off the coast of Georgia, Norwegian Dawn encountered a series of three 70-foot (21 m) waves. The third wave damaged several windows on the 9th and 10th decks and several decks were flooded. Damage, however, was not extensive and the ship was quickly repaired. Four passengers were slightly injured in this incident.
On November 27, 2009, Norwegian Dawn lost all power while returning to Miami. United States Coast Guard ships and helicopters were dispatched to the scene to assist. During the power outage, the more than 2,000 passengers on the ship had no access to running water, electricity, air conditioning or toilet services in the hot Caribbean environment. The temperatures in the area at the time were around 85 °F (29 °C) with 67% relative humidity. At least some power was restored and the ship was able to make port in San Juan, PR, not Miami as the itinerary dictated, to allow repairs to be made.
On August 27, 2010, Norwegian Dawn experienced engine problems. The ship had to leave Bermuda early to return to New York at a slower speed.
On August 24, 2013, Norwegian Dawn lost power in the evening due to an engine failure. Lighting was restored almost immediately, but the Dawn floated for nearly two hours in the Atlantic. After fixing the issue, evening events went on as planned and the Dawn reached Bermuda the next morning at her scheduled time.
On May 19, 2015, Norwegian Dawn ran aground in Bermuda shortly after leaving port. The incident was attributed to a minor malfunction in the ship's steering, sending her off course to hit a reef. The ship was floated off the reef six hours later with the high tide, and allowed to continue to Boston after underwater surveys showed no damage.
Norwegian Dawn was the second in a line of two ships with this design, constructed at Meyer Werft Shipyard in Papenburg, Germany. Her sister ship is Norwegian Star, which entered service in November 2001. At the time of their order with Meyer Werft, these two ships were designated as Libra-class (Dawn-class in NCL publicity, as the Libra-class designation was because of its original assignment by Star Cruises until they were assigned to NCL operations). NCL continued using the same class designation for these ships. Her original designated name was Superstar Scorpio, when destined for Star Cruises.
As with her sister vessel, Norwegian Dawn has restaurants, bars, entertainment and activity areas, and an eight-deck high atrium. One of her more distinctive features are twin Garden Villa staterooms.
In May 2016 the ship underwent an extensive multi-million dollar renovation focused on enhancing the guest experience. The Freestyle Cruising ship received enhancements to its public areas, suites and restaurants.
New enchanted Dining and Bars include:
- Los Lobos Cantina - a brand-new concept for Norwegian, Los Lobos promises cruisers a taste of Mexico with "a modern take on traditional favorites."
- O'Sheehan's Bar & Grill - Pub fare and draft beer will now be available on Dawn
- Bamboo Asian Restaurant - Renovations to Bamboo include carpet and hardwood flooring; new furniture like tables, barstools and chairs; updated artwork; new lighting; window treatments; and wall finishes.
- Teppanyaki - The size of Teppanyaki has doubled with two more tables, new flooring and decor, and the addition of a divider between the hibachi venue and Bamboo.
- Moderno Churrascaria - Dawn's Brazilian steakhouse has moved to Deck 13. New decor, furniture, window treatments, wall coverings and Brazil-themed artwork, have been added to the space.
- Cagney's Steakhouse - Norwegian's signature steakhouse will feature a modified layout, opening the space up with new decor, furniture, artwork, carpeting, wall finishes and lighting.
- Le Bistro/La Cucina - Norwegian's French and Italian restaurants have switched places on Dawn; both received updated carpet, furniture, decorative lighting and signage.
- The Venetian and Aqua - Dawn's two main dining rooms have been refurbished with new wall coverings, carpet and hardwood flooring, artwork, ceiling finishes, reupholstered furniture, lighting, window treatments and signage.
- Garden Cafe - The onboard buffet has been redesigned to feature a new layout along with upgraded flooring, artwork, decorative lighting, wall finishes, signage, and furniture.
- The Cellars, a Michael Mondavi Family Wine Bar - Tastings and educational events will be held at Dawn's new wine bar, formerly the Pearly King Pub.
- Sugarcane Mojito Bar - Varieties of the Cuban cocktail will be served on Deck 13, adjacent to the new space for Moderno.
- Bliss Lounge - Formerly Spinnaker Lounge, this space has been redesigned for more room and refreshed with new furniture, carpeting, and bar fronts.
- Gatsby's Champagne Bar - This '20s-style space now has new furniture, flooring, decorative lighting, artwork, window treatments and an art deco-inspired chandelier.
- Cigar Bar - The onboard space for cigar connoisseurs received new tile flooring, draperies, furniture, and an enhanced new humidor.
Public Areas and Staterooms Include:
- The atrium (as well as all elevators and restrooms in public spaces)
- The Dawn Club Casino
- Stardust Theater
- Entourage teen space and video arcade
- Photo Gallery
- Pool Deck
- Tides - A new store that sells jewelry in a small shop in the atrium.
- Tradewinds - The onboard shop formerly known as Ports O' Call.
- Mandara Spa and Pulse Fitness Center - The new look and layout of the onboard spa and gym has been updated with new decor and treatment rooms to a new barbershop, nail salon, spa pool and eight heated loungers in the thermal suite.
- Garden Villas - The ship's two Garden Villa suites received a modern retouch including new flooring, ceilings, lighting, bedding, furniture, decor and 42" flat-screen TVs.
- All cabins onboard Dawn received new carpet, bedding, draperies, artwork, furniture and flat-screen TVs.
Guests watch from their balconies as a pilot boat approaches
- "Norwegian Dawn (21561)". DNV GL Vessel Register. Det Norske Veritas. Retrieved 2012-07-14.
- "Single Ship Report for "9195169"". Miramar Ship Index. 2009-11-28. Retrieved 2009-11-28.
- Unknown (2000). Asia Pacific Shipping. 1. Baird Publications. Retrieved 2014-08-16.
- "Christening the "STAR" of the East Coast". Retrieved 16 June 2014.
- Reuters (April 18, 2005). Freak wave pummels cruise ship.
- "NTSB – Brief MAB-05/03". Archived from the original on 2009-03-08. Retrieved 2009-03-08.
- "Norwegian Dawn cruise ship breaks down near Puerto Rico". jacksonnjonline. 2009-11-28. Retrieved 2009-11-28.
- "Cruise ship leaves early due to engine problems". bermudasun.bm.
- Almasy, Steve (19 May 2015). "Norwegian cruise ship runs aground near Bermuda". CNN. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- Coto, Danicia (21 May 2015). "Experts inspect cruise ship freed from reef off Bermuda". News.com.au. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "Building Boom Ushers in New Class System". Cruise Travel. January 1, 2001. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
- MEYER WERFT GmbH. "Press Ticker". meyerwerft.de.
- "Norwegian Dawn". ncl.com.
- "Norwegian Dawn Cruise Ship Emerges from Dry Dock After Massive Refit". Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "It's a new dawn for a decade-old Norwegian ship". Retrieved 17 September 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Norwegian Dawn.|