Norwegian Jewel at anchor in Newport, Rhode Island.
|Owner:||Norwegian Cruise Line|
|Port of registry:||Nassau, Bahamas|
|Builder:||Meyer Werft, Papenburg, Germany|
|Laid down:||3 June 2004|
|Launched:||12 June 2005|
|Christened:||3 November 2005|
|Completed:||4 August 2005|
|Class and type:||Jewel-class cruise ship|
|Length:||965 ft (294.13 m)|
|Beam:||106 ft (32.31 m)|
|Draft:||27 ft (8.23 m)|
|Speed:||25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph)|
This ship entered service on 4 August 2005. She was constructed at Meyer Werft Shipyard in Papenburg, Germany and was formally named on November 3, 2005 in a ceremony at the Port of Miami. Her godmother is Melania Trump, wife of the business magnate Donald Trump who would later become President of the United States.
The final episode of the third season of Transparent takes place entirely aboard the ship, as established by exterior shots of the ship's name and distinctive markings, and the ship's Spinnaker Lounge is referenced by name and is the location for a key scene in the episode.
Norwegian Jewel is scheduled to undergo a dry dock in October-November 2018.
Norwegian Jewel is NCL's first of four Jewel-class ships. She was followed in 2006 by Norwegian Jade (originally Pride of Hawaii) and Norwegian Pearl, and then in 2007 by Norwegian Gem. Each ship has unique amenities, but has a similar exterior and interior design.
Norwegian Jewel was preceded at NCL by two Libra-class ships; Norwegian Star, which entered service in 2001, and Norwegian Dawn, which entered service in 2002. Although the Libra-class ships have a similar exterior appearance to the Jewel class, there are significant interior and facility differences that merit their different class designation.
Areas of operation
Norwegian Jewel is scheduled to spend winter 2019/2020 undertaking cruises in Australia & New Zealand, Asia, and the South Pacific.
- "Early Delivery of Norwegian Jewel". Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "Melania Trump Christens World's Largest, Most Luxurious Gem - NCL's Norwegian Jewel". Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- Candidates for NBC's “The Apprentice” to create 30-second freestyle cruising ads for their NCL task challenge
- "Cruise Ship Dry Dock/Upgrade Schedules for Cruise Lines in 2018-2023". cruisefever.net. Retrieved 2018-08-08.
- "Building Boom Ushers in New Class System". Cruise Travel. January 1, 2001. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
- "Norwegian Cruise Line Moving Cruise Ships to New Homeports". cruisefever.net. Retrieved 2018-08-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Norwegian Jewel (ship, 2005).|