Norwegian New Zealanders
|828 (Norwegian born)
1,400 (Norwegian ancestry)
0.03% of New Zealand's population
|Regions with significant populations|
|Manawatu-Wanganui, Norsewood, Danevirke, Wellington|
|New Zealand English · Norwegian|
|Protestant · Roman Catholic|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Norwegians · Norwegian Australians · Norwegian Americans · Norwegian Canadians|
Norwegian New Zealanders (Norwegian: Norsknewzealendere) are New Zealanders of Norwegian ancestry, the majority of whom are part of the Norwegian diaspora. Around 10,000 New Zealand residents declared they were born in Norway. In addition 32,850 New Zealander residents claimed Norwegian ancestry, either singularly or with another ancestry.
It was established two Norwegian settlements in New Zealand, one in Norsewood the Seventy Mile Bush, south of the North Island, and the other in the Manawatu. The emigrants arrived there from 1868. In 1878 the number of Norwegian-born said to be 1,213, and emigration from Norway died down then.
New Zealand and Australia are two of the most popular countries for Norwegian students. There are currently about 200 Norwegians studying in New Zealand. There are also some 2,500 Norwegian students in Australia. Half of the Norwegian students in New Zealand and Australia are members of ANSA - the Association of Norwegian Students Abroad.
|Part of a series on|
|By country or region|
List of Norwegian New Zealanders
- 828 people have informed that they have a Norwegian ethnic background.
- Nedrebø, Yngve. "Et overblikk over norsk utvandringshistorie" [An Overview of Norwegian emigration history] (in Norwegian). digitalarkivet.no. Archived from the original on 12 June 2002.
- Walrond, Carl (8 Feb 2005). "Scandinavians - 1870s: assisted migration: Seventy Mile Bush". Te Ara: The Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Retrieved 27 January 2017.
- Arnold, Rollo (1981). The Farthest Promised Land - English Villagers, New Zealand Immigrants of the 1870s. New Zealand Texts Collection. Wellington: Victoria University Press. p. 312. Retrieved 10 December 2009.
- The Norway year book. 2. Oslo: Sverre Mortensen Forlag. 1938. p. 364. Retrieved 10 December 2009.
[...] Norsewood in New Zealand is a Norwegian settlement that celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1922.
- Walrond, Carl (4 April 2009). "Scandinavians - Facts and figures". Te Ara: The Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Retrieved 10 December 2009.