Nossa Senhora do Monte, Cape Verde
|Nossa Senhora do Monte|
|Civil parish||Nossa Senhora do Monte|
|Elevation||642 m (2,106 ft)|
Nossa Senhora do Monte is a village located in the heart of the island of Brava, Cape Verde, it is the seat of the parish of Nossa Senhora do Monte, its elevation is 770 m. Its 2010 population was 271. Nossa Senhora do Monte are surrounded by mountains. Monte Fontainhas, Brava's tallest mountain reaching a height of 976 meters, is close to the village. The village is sometimes known as Nova Sintra do Monte.
It was founded in 1826, and a few years later it became the seat of a bishop. In 1862 Nossa Senhora do Monte became a place of pilgrimage. There are a sightworthy Catholic pilgrimage church and a smaller Adventist Church in the village. Several shops and small bars are to be found in Main Street. Several times a day, Nossa Senhora do Monte can be reached by "Aluguer" bus from Nova Sintra.
A small church of the Seventh Day Adventist was built in the 1930s by the missionaries from the United States
The only football (soccer) club in the town is GD Corôa da Brava, fpunded in 2004, though serves the whole island, it is based in the town.
- "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 17 March 2014.
- Reitmaier, Pitt: Cabo Verde, p.415. Bielefeld 2009.
- Reitmaier, Pitt: Cabo Verde, p.418. Bielefeld 2009.
- Land, Gary (2005). Historical Dictionary of Seventh-Day Adventists (= Historical Dictionaries of Religions, Philosophies, and Movements. Lanham MD: Scarecrow. p. 55. ISBN 0-8108-5345-0.
- Susanne Lipps, Oliver Breda: Reiseatlas Kapverdische Inseln, Dumont, Ostfildern 2005, p. 153–156, ISBN 3-7701-5968-3
|This Cape Verdean location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|