This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nostrand Avenue (//) is a major street in Brooklyn, New York, that runs for 8 miles (13 km) north from Emmons Avenue in Sheepshead Bay to Flushing Avenue in Williamsburg, where it continues as Lee Avenue. It occupies the position of East 30th Street in the Brooklyn street grid. It is named after Gerret Noorstrandt whose family was one of the first families that settled in New Utrecht, Brooklyn when New York was still a Dutch Colony.
From Flushing Avenue to Farragut Road, Nostrand Avenue is a one-way two-lane street going southbound only. Between Kings Highway and Avenue X, it is a two-way street with four traffic lanes. South of Avenue X, the avenue is a very wide two-way divided road with six traffic lanes. The avenue, originally called Nostrand Lane, has been open since 1840.
The street is serviced by the following public transportation:
- The B44 & B44 SBS bus, which replaced a streetcar line in 1951, serves the entire avenue.
- The BM4 express bus runs on the avenue between Avenue K and Quentin Road.
- The New York City Subway's IRT Nostrand Avenue Line, served by the 2 and 5 trains, runs under Nostrand Avenue from Eastern Parkway to Flatbush Avenue.
- The New York City Subway's IRT Eastern Parkway Line has one local station (3 train) on Eastern Parkway.
- The Long Island Rail Road's Atlantic Branch has one station at Atlantic Avenue.
- The New York City Subway's IND Fulton Street Line has one express station (A and C trains) on Fulton Street.
- The New York City Subway's IND Crosstown Line has one station (G train) on Lafayette Avenue.
- Benardo, Leonard (2006). Brooklyn by Name. New York and London: New York University Press. p. 42. ISBN 978-0-8147-9945-1.
- Haitian Times, Editorial Staff (9 April 2013). "Tonight, HABNET Celebrates Cultural Name for Nostrand Ave: 'Toussaint Louverture Blvd'". Haitian Times. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- Bloomberg, Michael R. (2004-04-21). "MAYOR MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG SIGNS LEGISLATION RENAMING EIGHTY-THREE STREETS" (Press release). New York City: The City of New York. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Hazlewood, Summie, ed. (14 May 2004). "STREET TO HONOR HAITI'S LIBERATOR". NY Daily News. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nostrand Avenue (Brooklyn).|
- Brooklyn Nostrand Ave on East Flatbush, Brooklyn NY, is now Toussaint Louverture Boulevard
- Brooklyn Economic Development Corporation
|This article relating to roads and streets in New York City is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|