Not Another Happy Ending
|Not Another Happy Ending|
UK release poster
|Directed by||John McKay|
|Produced by||Claire Mundell
|Written by||David Solomons|
Iain de Caestecker
Henry Ian Cusick
|Music by||Lorne Balfe|
|Edited by||Calum Puss|
Synchronicity Films Ltd.
British Film Company
|Distributed by||Kaleidoscope Home Entertainment|
Not Another Happy Ending is a 2013 British romantic comedy film directed by John McKay, starring Karen Gillan, Stanley Weber and Freya Mavor. Produced by Claire Mundell and Wendy Griffin, and written by David Solomons, the film premiered at the Edinburgh International Film Festival on 30 June 2013.
Tom Duvall, the editor of a struggling publishing company, discovers that his only successful author, Jane Lockhart, cannot write when happy. Due to her recent success, she is left unable to write and he is stuck. He is forced to make her incredibly unhappy. The thing is, the worse he makes her feel, the more he realizes he's in love with her.
- Karen Gillan as Jane Lockhart
- Stanley Weber as Tom Duvall
- Iain de Caestecker as Roddy
- Freya Mavor as Nicola Ball
- Amy Manson as Darsie
- Gary Lewis as Benny Lockhart
- Kate Dickie as Anna le Fevre
- Henry Ian Cusick as Willie Scott
- Matilda Thorpe as Andrea
The film was financed in part by a crowdfunding campaign on the website Indiegogo, which raised USD$22,660. Additional funding came through the efforts of producer Claire Mundell, who "[patch-worked] a bunch of different sources of funding together, none of whom interfered in any kind of way with the way the film turned out".
Scottish actor Emun Elliott was originally attached to play the role of Tom, but was replaced with French actor Stanley Weber. This led the filmmakers to write into the script the character's French background, as well as "a lot of explanation about how this French guy could end up in Glasgow and be a publisher".
Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a rating of 33% from 15 critics.
- "NOT ANOTHER HAPPY ENDING (12A)". Kaleidoscope Home Entertainment. British Board of Film Classification. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "Karen Gillan Rom-Com Will Close Edinburgh Film Festival". ZCint.co.uk. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "John McKay Talks Not Another Happy Ending". ZCint.co.uk. 18 June 2012. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Not Another Happy Ending". Indiegogo.com. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "John McKay on Not Another Happy Ending and Scottish filmmaking". TheTarge.co.uk. 26 June 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2013.