Not Easily Broken
|Not Easily Broken|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Bill Duke|
|Produced by||Brian Bird
T. D. Jakes
|Screenplay by||Brian Bird|
|Based on||Not Easily Broken
by T. D. Jakes
Taraji P. Henson
|Music by||Kurt Farquhar|
|Edited by||Josh Rifkin|
|Distributed by||Screen Gems|
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (November 2015)|
Dave (Morris Chestnut) and Clarice Johnson (Taraji P. Henson) have reached a breaking point in their marriage. When Clarice is injured in a car accident, her mother Mary (Jenifer Lewis) intervenes. The obvious truth that more than just her injuries need immediate attention is exposed. Clarice begins to be treated by Julie (Maeve Quinlan), a physical therapist. Dave develops a friendship with Julie and her teenage son Bryson (Cannon Jay). The acceptance and comfort Dave finds in the two stirs his longing for a family and a passionate partner. When Bryson unexpectedly dies in a swimming accident, Dave and Julie's relationship grows closer as Clarice pulls farther away. Dave and Clarice must confront whether their marriage vows are or are not easily broken. Dave later visits Julie after she calls him, and he comforts her in her grief. They begin to kiss, but Dave realizes it is Clarice he truly wants. The couple reunites once Clarice expresses to him the reasons for her mother having such a big input in their marriage. They reunite and Dave finds out that Clarice is pregnant.
- Morris Chestnut as Dave Johnson
- Taraji P. Henson as Clarice Clark-Johnson
- Maeve Quinlan as Julie Sawyer
- Kevin Hart as Tree
- Wood Harris as Darnell Gooden
- Eddie Cibrian as Brock Houseman
- Jenifer Lewis as Mary "Mama" Clark
- Niecy Nash as Michelle
- Cannon Jay as Bryson Sawyer
- Albert Hall as Bishop Wilkes
The film has received mainly negative to mixed reviews from critics. As of December 20, 2014, Rotten Tomatoes reported that 33% of critics gave positive reviews from critics based on 38 reviews. Another review aggretator, Metacritic, gave the film a 43/100 approval rating based on 18 reviews.
On its opening weekend, it opened #9 with $5,600,000 in 724 theaters with an $7,735 average.
- "Not Easily Broken (2009)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved November 30, 2009.
- "Not Easily Broken". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved March 7, 2016.
- "Not Easily Broken Movie Reviews, Pictures". IGN Entertainment. Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 9, 2008.
- "Not Easily Broken (2009):Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- "Weekend Box Office Results from January 9-11, 2009". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 11, 2009.