Not Giving Up on Love
|"Not Giving Up on Love"|
|Single by Armin van Buuren vs. Sophie Ellis-Bextor|
|from the album Mirage and Make a Scene|
|Released||20 August 2010|
|Armin van Buuren singles chronology|
|Sophie Ellis-Bextor singles chronology|
"Not Giving Up on Love" is a collaboration between Dutch DJ and record producer Armin van Buuren and English singer Sophie Ellis-Bextor. It was released on 20 August 2010 as the second single from van Buuren's fourth studio album, Mirage, and the fourth single from Ellis-Bextor's fourth studio album, Make a Scene.
Background and release
The song was written by Australian songwriters Olivia Nervo and Miriam Nervo and Sophie Ellis-Bextor. It premiered on BBC Radio 2's The Dermot O'Leary Show on 11 July 2010 when it was performed in an acoustic version by Sophie Ellis-Bextor. The extended version debuted on Armin van Buuren's radio show A State of Trance on 12 August 2010. On 5 December 2010 it was announced that the song entered the 2010 edition of the Q Top 1000 of all time, compiled by listeners of Dutch radio station Q-Music, on number 545. In the 2011 edition of the Q Top 1000 of all time, the song landed at number 409. The song was nominated at the "2011 International Dance Music Awards" in the category of "Best Commercial Dance Track" and "Best Trance Track", for which it won the award.
A 30 second sample of "Not Giving Up on Love".
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"Not Giving Up on Love" is a trance song. It also features euphoric synths and pulsating beats. According to Idolator's Robbie Daw, the opening lyrics to 'Not Giving Up On Love' could almost be describing Sophie’s feelings about her chart fortunes over the past year: "I know you’re feeling restless, like life’s not on your side/It’s weighing heavy on your mind." In the chorus, she sings: "Hold me now, nothing else matters, it’s just the two of us / And if it all falls down, nothing else matters, you know we’re strong enough / I’m not giving up, I’m not giving up on us / I said I’m not giving up, I’m not giving up on love."
The song received positive reviews from most music critics. Jon O'Brien of Allmusic wrote that "on the warm and melancholic multi-layered trance of 'Not Giving Up on Love', she shows her Ibiza soundtrack days aren't as far behind her as first thought." Tom Hocknell of BBC Music commented, "The album’s purple patch continues with Van Buuren’s uplifting Not Giving Up on Love, which sounds like Chicane at the gym." Lewis Corner of Digital Spy awarded it four out of five stars, writing "The result is a club thumper more fabulous and heavy than a Big Fat Gypsy wedding dress." Robert Copsey also of Digital Spy called it "a club-thumping collaboration with superstar DJ Armin van Buuren." Clixie Music called it "typically Sophie, an anthem-driven track." Sputnikmusic's staff wrote that "the song exist only to excite. It's a sleeper club hit just waiting to happen."
The video for "Not Giving Up on Love" was shot in Ibiza, Spain by British director Sophie Muller, as stated by Ellis-Bextor on an interview. The video shoot took place in San Antonio and the Amnesia Club during August 2010. It was premiered on 17 August 2010.
Van Buuren told MTV News:
"Sophie [Ellis-Bextor] was very keen on working with Sophie Muller. She's like the name in music video production. We wanted a video that was very beautiful. Sophie Ellis-Bextor is a beautiful person to look at. She's an amazing performer, and I was like, 'I have my residency at Amnesia [a marquee club on the island], why not just do a video in Ibiza?' And everybody was like, 'OK!'".
Inter-cut with shots of Ellis-Bextor soaking up the sun is a club scene showing the pair performing the song. Van Buuren told MTV News the shoot was the first live attempt at the song in which the duo performed. Said the Dutch trance music star: "It was really crazy because we only had one take to do it live. We had [about] eight cameras rolling, and it was like, 'Sophie is gonna be here. She's gonna rock the track live for you guys. We are shooting a video and we only have one take to do it. So you better be enthusiastic!'".
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||26|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||24|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||8|
|European Hot 100||35|
|Poland (Polish Airplay Top 100)||1|
|Poland (Dance Top 50)||21|
|Poland (Video Chart)||1|
|Russian Singles Chart||3|
|Spanish Dance Chart||4|
|UK Dance (Official Charts Company)||27|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||165|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Airplay||3|
|U.S. Billboard Dance/Electronic Digital Songs||36|
|Dutch Singles Chart||89|
|Dutch Downloads Chart||90|
|Composition and production|
|Vocal production and backing vocals||
|Worldwide||20 August 2010||Digital download|
|Netherlands||27 August 2010||CD single|
|Italy||11 January 2011||Digital download|
|United Kingdom||6 March 2011|
- O'Brien, Jon (6 June 2011). "Make a Scene — Sophie Ellis Bextor: Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards: AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Copsey, Robert (12 July 2010). "Ellis-Bextor premieres new single". Digital Spy. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
- "Q-Music Top 1000". Q-Music. 5 December 2010. Archived from the original on 2012-03-25. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "Q-Music Top 1000". Q-Music. 20 November 2011. Archived from the original on 18 August 2011. Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- Slomowicz, DJ Jon. "2011 International Dance Music Awards". About.com. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Stern, Bradley (17 August 2010). "ARMIN VAN BUUREN VS. SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR: NOT GIVING UP ON LOVE (VIDEO PREMIERE)". MuuMuse. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Corner, Lewis (9 March 2011). "Sophie Ellis-Bextor: 'Not Giving Up On Love'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Daw, Robbie (16 August 2010). "Armin Van Buuren And Sophie Ellis-Bextor Are "Not Giving Up On Love"". Idolator. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Hocknell, Tom (1 July 2011). "BBC — Music — Review of Sophie Ellis Bextor — Make a Scene". BBC Music. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Copsey, Robert (13 June 2011). "Sophie Ellis-Bextor: 'Make A Scene'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Bradshaw, Lee (7 May 2011). "Album Review: Sophie Ellis-Bextor – 'Make A Scene'| Clixie Music — News, Reviews and Interviews". Clixie Music. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "Sophie Ellis-Bextor Make A Scene". Sputnikmusic. 26 April 2011. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Sophie Ellis-Bextor heading to Ibiza for video
- Copsey, Robert (17 August 2010). "Ellis-Bextor video premiere announced". Digital Spy. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
- "Armin Van Buuren Spills 'Not Giving Up On Love' Video Details". VH1. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- "Armin van Buuren and Sophie Ellis-Bextor — Not Giving Up on Love — EP". iTunes Store. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
- "Armin van Buuren and Sophie Ellis-Bextor — Not Giving Up on Love — EP (Remixes Vol. 2)". iTunes Store. Retrieved 27 August 2010.
- "Armin van Buuren vs. Sophie Ellis-Bextor — Not Giving Up on Love — The Italian Job". Juno Records. Retrieved 2013-04-05.
- "Not Giving Up on Love: Armin Van Buuren vs. Sophie Ellis-Bextor". Amazon.de. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
- UK iTunes bundle
- UK iTunes bundle
- "Ultratop.be – Armin van Buuren vs Sophie Ellis-Bextor – Not Giving Up On Love" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Armin van Buuren vs Sophie Ellis-Bextor – Not Giving Up On Love" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Armin van Buuren vs Sophie Ellis-Bextor – Not Giving Up On Love" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 100.
- "Dance Chart :: Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video" (in Polish). ZPAV. 2010-11-01. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Top 5 Airplay TV". Polish Video Chart. ZPAV. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- Russian Singles Chart
- Maxima FM Official Spanish Dance Chart
- "Archive Chart: 2010-09-04" UK Dance Chart.
- "CHART: CLUK Update 04.09.2010 (wk34)". ChartsPlus. Zobbel.de. Retrieved 4 September 2010.
- "Top 100 Singles 2010". Dutch Charts. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- "Top 100 Singles 2010 - Downloads". Dutch Charts. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- LA BEXTOR: NGUOL - The Italian Job