Not for Nothin'
|Not for Nothin'|
|Studio album by|
|Released||August 21, 2001|
|Recorded||September 21–23, 2000|
|Studio||Avatar Studios, NYC|
|Dave Holland Quintet chronology|
As is standard for Holland's releases, the program consists of numerous compositions by the other band members, in this case one each, in addition to the majority written by Holland. The album's longest track "What Goes Around" was re-recorded by Holland in a big-band arrangement on the follow-up album What Goes Around.
The Allmusic review by Thom Jurek awarded the album 4.5 stars, stating, "This is postmodern poetic singing at its finest. Who said jazz is a dead art form? Let he or she who has the ears to hear, hear; the Dave Holland Quintet is carrying the banner of creative music in the jazz tradition in the 21st century.".
Maurice Bottomley of PopMatters wrote "Actually, the ECM connection matters. If, like me, you associate the label with all that is clever but too contemplative by half, Not for Nothin' should be a salutary warning to your (and my) prejudices. Make no mistake, it swings, struts and sways in all the right places. And, at every twist and turn, the formidable Holland is there, relentlessly driving the music forward. There is nothing here that will surprise anyone who has heard Prime Directive -- this set's predecessor -- but it is, if anything, more easily confident. The younger players are all improving and their leader is certainly not in decline. As for the material, there have been more distinctive compositions, but everything is handled so well that it hardly matters. Best Jazz Album 2001? -- no, but pretty close. Best Small Group 2001? I don't see why not."
All compositions by Dave Holland, except as noted.
- "Global Citizen" (Robin Eubanks) - 11:12
- "For All You Are" - 8:19
- "Lost and Found" (Chris Potter) - 9:27
- "Shifting Sands" - 5:20
- "Billows of Rhythm" (Billy Kilson) - 6:45
- "What Goes Around" - 13:04
- "Go Fly a Kite" (Steve Nelson) - 6:12
- "Not for Nothin'" - 5:54
- "Cosmosis" - 6:11
- Chris Potter - soprano, alto and tenor saxophones
- Robin Eubanks - trombone and cowbell
- Steve Nelson - vibraphone & marimba
- Dave Holland - double bass
- Billy Kilson - drums
- Chris "Tek" O'Ryan - sound engineer
- "Dave Holland Discography". Jazz Disco. jazzdisco.org. Retrieved 23 May 2018.
- Chinen, Nate (November 2001). "Dave Holland Quintet Not for Nothin' ECM Records". Jazz Times. jazztimes.com. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Dave Holland Quintet – Not For Nothin'". Discogs. discogs.com. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- Jurek, T. Allmusic Review accessed September 21, 2011
- Bottomley, Maurice (20 August 2001). "Dave Holland Quintet: Not for Nothin'". PopMatters. popmatters.com. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- "Dave Holland: Not for Nothin'". Sputnikmusic. sputnikmusic.com. Retrieved 5 May 2018.