Not safe for work
|Look up NSFW, SFW, or NSFL in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Not safe for work (NSFW) is Internet slang or shorthand used to mark links to content, videos or website pages the viewer may not wish to be seen looking at in a public, formal or controlled environment. The marked content may contain nudity, intense sexuality, political incorrectness, profanity, slurs, violence or other potentially disturbing subject matter. Environments that may be problematic include workplaces, schools, and family settings. NSFW has particular relevance for people trying to make personal use of the Internet at workplaces or schools which have policies prohibiting access to sexual and graphic subject matter. Conversely, safe for work (SFW) is used for links that do not contain such material, but where the title might otherwise lead people to think that content is NSFW.
The similar expression not safe for life (NSFL) is also used, referring to content which is so nauseating or disturbing that it might be emotionally scarring to view. Links marked NSFL may contain fetish pornography, gore or lethal violence.
- "The Meaning of NSFW and How to Use It". Lifewire. Archived from the original on 2018-10-21. Retrieved 2018-10-21.CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- "NSFW Meaning. What does NSFW mean?". MyEnglishTeacher.eu Blog. 2017-12-29. Archived from the original on 2018-10-21. Retrieved 2018-10-21.
- "How Not To Get Caught Looking at NSFW Content on the Job". Complex. Archived from the original on 2018-10-21. Retrieved 2018-10-21.
- What is SFW (Safe for Work) from Computer Hope
- "Check out this Reddit thread dedicated to the hottest sex stories". Happy Mag. 2021-01-19. Retrieved 2021-01-19.
- "Reddit Basics". reddit.zendesk.com. Archived from the original on 10 December 2019. Retrieved 17 September 2019.