St Bartholomew's church, Notgrove
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
The village was recorded as Natangrafum between 716–43. It was listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Nategrave or Nategraua, the name coming from the Old English næt + grāf meaning "wet grove or copse".
Notgrove is part of the Sandywell ward of the district of Cotswold, represented by Councillor Robin Hughes, a member of the Conservative Party. Notgrove is part of the constituency of Cotswold, represented at parliament by Conservative MP Geoffrey Clifton-Brown. It is part of the South West England constituency of the European Parliament.
Notgrove is in the county of Gloucestershire and lies within the Cotswolds, a range of hills designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It is about 28.5 km (17.8 miles) to the east of Gloucester. It is approximately 17.5 km (11 miles) east of its post town Cheltenham and about 7 km (4.5 miles) west of Bourton-on-the-Water. Nearby villages include Turkdean, Cold Aston, Hazleton, Naunton and Salperton.
The parish church is dedicated to Saint Bartholomew. It is a Norman church, believed to be on the site of a Saxon cemetery. It houses effigies to the descendants of Richard Whittington (Dick Whittington).
- "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- Mills, A. D. (1998). Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford University Press. p. 257. ISBN 0-19-280074-4.
- "Notgrove". Domesday Book. The National Archives. 1086. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- "Find My Councillor / Ward". Cotswold District Council. 2011-05-06. Retrieved 2015-03-17.
- "Cotswold — Constituency — Conservative Party". Conservative Party. Archived from the original on 17 October 2006. Retrieved 28 April 2008.
- "Extract From National Gazetteer, 1868". GENUKI. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- Hall, Michael (1993). Stratford-Upon-Avon and the Cotswolds. The Pevensey Press. p. 91. ISBN 0-907115-68-3.
- Betjeman, John (1958). Collins Guide to English Parish Churches. Collins. p. 175.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Notgrove.|
|This Gloucestershire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|