Nothin' on You
|"Nothin' on You"|
|Single by B.o.B featuring Bruno Mars|
|from the album B.o.B Presents: The Adventures of Bobby Ray|
|Released||February 2, 2010|
|Length||4:29 (album version)
3:37 (radio edit)
|Certification||2x Platinum (RIAA)|
|B.o.B singles chronology|
"Nothin' on You" is the debut single by American rapper B.o.B. The song features vocals from Bruno Mars. The song is included in B.o.B's debut studio album, B.o.B Presents: The Adventures of Bobby Ray. An official remix version of this song, which features Big Boi, debuted on March 21, 2010. The song reached number one in the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the United States. The song was nominated for three Grammys, including Record of the Year, on December 1, 2010 for the 53rd Grammy Awards.
During the summer of 2009, The Smeezingtons (Bruno Mars, Philip Lawrence and Ari Levine) were booked for a week of writing sessions for Lupe Fiasco, B.o.B and Travie McCoy. Atlantic A&R Aaron Bay-Schuck told HitQuarters that one of his responsibilities is in encouraging Mars and Lawrence to develop the best of the original melodies he often heard them casually humming, and it was one of these melodies that formed the inspiration to "Nothin' on You". By the end of the week the group had created a scratch chorus-only demo of the song featuring Bruno Mars singing on a guitar track. The Travie McCoy song "Billionaire" was also conceived at this time. Several weeks later B.o.B joined The Smeezingtons in the studio to complete the full song. In an interview with MidWeek, Mars explained the lyrical inspiration for the song, "Every song I write has to do with a real-life experience, whether it's at the time or me back-tracking to how I felt at another moment. So, yeah, it was about someone; let's leave it at that."
In an interview to MTV News Mars and Philip explained how the song was created: "Me and Phil always had that hook," Mars told MTV News, spontaneously breaking out into the chorus that is helping to make him one of music's buzzed-about names. "It was a different melody at first, though," Lawrence added. "So one day our other partner — the Silent Bob of the Smeezingtons — Ari, he walked into the studio and said he programmed the drums [over]," Mars explained. "It had this old-school hip-hop beat. I said, 'Gimme the piano,' and that was the first thing I started playing. Magically, that melody worked with this track we were doing."
According to Jim Jonsin, the track was originally supposed to be sent to Lupe Fiasco, but Jonsin pressured Atlantic Records exec Craig Kallman to give the beat to B.o.B. Lupe says that Kallman told him his lyrics and performance on the record were "wack", and ultimately Lupe did not get the beat. He claims that this was a breaking point and drove him to be lightly suicidal. Lupe Fiasco's version of the song leaked on June 18, 2010. The song's drum beat is a sample taken from Joe Tex's "Papa Was Too" and is prominent throughout the song. On June 27, 2010, B.o.B performed the single with Fantasia Barrino's brother Ricco Barrino, who is also signed to Atlantic and Grand Hustle Records, at the BET Awards. With the release and initial success of "Nothin' On You" in 2010, the music careers of B.o.B and Bruno Mars made a jumpstart, with both artists scoring a few number one hits in the United States and European countries like "Airplanes", "Billionaire", "Magic" and the debut solo single from Bruno Mars "Just The Way You Are" later on. In 2011, "Weird Al" Yankovic recorded a parody of the song called "Another Tattoo", which is featured on his album Alpocalypse. On June 15, 2010, B.o.B released a duet single of "Nothin' on You" with Korean-American singer Jay Park, where he replaces Bruno Mars' vocals. Warner Music Korea explained that Park's featuring was made possible by music distribution company, Warner Music America's Asian counterpart, SEA, as well as his YouTube cover contributing to much of the song's success in Korea with more than 5 million hits.
The music video was directed by Ethan Lader (with animation done by George Rausch) and was filmed in the city of Los Angeles. It features both performers and premiered on March 9, 2010. The video features multiple collages of women taping over each other, in addition to a scene where B.o.B plays guitar and sings while Bruno Mars, the featured guest on the single, plays the drums. Philip Lawrence also plays the piano. The second runner-up of America's Next Top Model, Cycle 7, Eugena Washington, appears as one of the many girls in the video.
- CD single
- "Nothin' on You" (Album Version)
- "Haterz Everywhere" (Album Version) (featuring Wes F.I.F)
- Digital download - EP
- "Nothin' on You" (Album Version)
- "Nothin' on You" (TC Swift Radio Edit)
- "Nothin' on You" (TC Swift Remix)
- "Nothin' on You" (Instrumental Version)
- "Nothin' on You" (A Capella version)
- Digital download - Remixes
- "Nothin' on You" (Album Version)
- "Nothin' on You" (Short Radio Edit)
- "Nothin' on You" (The Son of Chico Dusty Remix) (featuring Big Boi)
- "Nothin' on You" (Warren G Remix) (featuring Warren G)
- "Nothin' on You" (Villains Remix) (featuring Bei Maejor)
- "Nothin' on You" (featuring Jay Park)
- Mac Miller
- Jay Park
- "Weird Al" Yankovic (Parodied as "Another Tattoo" on his 2011 album Alpocalypse.)
- Wonder Girls
- Inch Chua (performing Bruno Mars' hook, later sampled for a duet by rapper Shigga Shay)
- 360 used the instrumentation and a rewritten version of the chorus for his song "Nothing On You" on his mixtape Please Be Seated.
- EXO (band)'s D.O. featuring his band mate Chanyeol on guitar.
- Super Junior's Leeteuk featuring fellow band mate Sungmin on guitar during their 6th tour, Super Show 6, which also included a Korean verse.
The single reached number one in the Dutch Top 40, making the Netherlands the first country where it reached the top spot on a national chart. It went to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for the week ending May 1, 2010, and certified double-platinum by the RIAA on June 28, 2010. On the Hot 100 year-end chart, "Nothin' on You" placed at number 11. In 2010 its sold 2,668,000 digital copies, and by September 2012 sales totalled 3,062,000. In the United Kingdom, the single debuted at number one on the UK Singles Chart on May 23, 2010 ― for the week ending date May 29, 2010 ― with sales of 85,333 copies, replacing Roll Deep's "Good Times" at the top of the chart. In the same week, it also debuted at number one on the UK R&B Chart.
On June 15, 2010, B.o.B released a duet single of "Nothin' on You" with Korean-American singer Jay Park. The song immediately reached #1 on Cyworld's real time charts in an hour of its release. The song was given the Best International Artist Award in June 2010's Cyworld Digital Music Awards.
Credits and personnel
- Mixing and mastering
- Mixed and engineered at Levcon Studios, Hollywood, California; mastered at Sterling Sound, New York, New York.
- Songwriting – Bobby Ray Simmons, Jr., Bruno Mars, Philip Lawrence, Ari Levine
- Production – The Smeezingtons
- Mixing – Ari Levine
- Mastering - Chris Gehringer
- Engineer – Ari Levine
- Recording – Ari Levine
- All instruments played by – Ari Levine, Bruno Mars, Brody Brown (bass)
Credits adapted from the liner notes of B.o.B Presents: The Adventures of Bobby Ray, Grand Hustle, Rebel Rock, Atlantic
Charts and certifications
"Good Times" by Roll Deep featuring Jodie Connor
|UK Singles Chart number-one single
May 23, 2010 – May 29, 2010
"Dirtee Disco" by Dizzee Rascal
"Rude Boy" by Rihanna
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
May 1, 2010 – May 15, 2010
"OMG" by Usher featuring will.i.am
|United States||February 2, 2010|
|United Kingdom||May 17, 2010|
- List of Dutch Top 40 number-one singles of 2010
- List of number-one singles in Scotland
- List of number-one singles from the 2010s (UK)
- List of number-one R&B hits of 2010 (UK)
- List of Hot 100 number-one singles of 2010 (U.S.)
- List of Mainstream Top 40 number-one hits of 2010 (U.S.)
- RIAA - Gold & Platinum - November 26, 2010
- That's That...: B.o.B - "Nothin' On You (Remix)" (Feat. Big Boi & Bruno Mars)
- "Interview with Aaron Bay-Schuck". HitQuarters. December 13, 2010. Retrieved December 14, 2010.
- Moniz, Melissa (April 14, 2010). "Starring Bruno Mars". MidWeek. Black Press. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- Jayson Rodriguez (May 17, 2010). "B.o.B's 'Nothin' On You' Came Together 'Magically,' Smeezingtons Say". MTV Networks. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
- Parker, Jason (May 7, 2010). "Producer Says "Nothin On You" Was For Lupe Fiasco". Rap Basement. Retrieved January 5, 2012.
- Batey, Angus (2011-03-11). "Lupe Fiasco: 'I have the right to speak out'". The Guardian. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "B.O.B feat. Bruno Mars' "Nothin' On You" sample of Joe Tex's "Papa Was Too"". whosampled.com. Retrieved August 8, 2011.
- "재범, B.O.B와 듀엣 싱글로 국내 첫 활동". Union News. June 15, 2010.
- March 9, 2010 – this was posted in our Music Video Section (2010-03-09). "Music Video: B.o.B. ft Bruno Mars – Nothin' On You || TheNext2Shine.com (Exclusive RNB Music Downloads) – The Next To Shine". Blog.thenext2shine.com. Retrieved 2010-03-19.
- Nothin' on You (2track): Amazon.co.uk: Music
- iTunes - Music - Nothin' On You (feat. Bruno Mars) - EP by B.o.B
- Dinh, James (September 13, 2010). "B.o.B, Hayley Williams Perform Rousing 'Airplanes' At VMAs". MTV News. MTV Networks. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- Rapper B.o.B Goes Platinum With "Nothin' On You"
- Chart Watch Extra: We Have A Winner | Chart Watch - Yahoo! Music
- Paul Grein (September 27, 2012). "Week Ending Sept. 23, 2012. Songs: The Song That Is Sweeping The Globe". Yahoo! Chart Watch. Retrieved September 27, 2012.
- "Jay Effect: B.O.B. song featuring Jay Park tops music charts". Korean Times. June 16, 2010.
- June 2010's Cy Digital Music Awards. Cyworld. July 1, 2010.
- B.o.B Presents: The Adventures of Bobby Ray (CD booklet). B.o.B. Canada: 2-518903. 2010.
- "Australian-charts.com – B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars – Nothin' on You". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars – Nothin' on You" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars – Nothin' on You" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars – Nothin' on You" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "B.o.B Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for B.o.B.
- "Danishcharts.com – B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars – Nothin' on You". Tracklisten.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars – Nothin' on You" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Officialcharts.de – B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars – Nothin' on You". GfK Entertainment.
- "Chart Track: Week 20, 2010". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Charts.org.nz – B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars – Nothin' on You". Top 40 Singles.
- "South Korea Gaon International Chart (Week: March 07, 2010 to March 13, 2010)". Gaon Chart. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "Spanishcharts.com – B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars – Nothin' on You" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars – Nothin' on You". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars – Nothin' on You". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2010-05-29" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- "Archive Chart: 2010-05-29" UK R&B Chart. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- "B.o.B Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for B.o.B.
- "B.o.B Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for B.o.B.
- "B.o.B Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for B.o.B.
- "B.o.B Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Rap Songs for B.o.B.
- "B.o.B Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for B.o.B.
- "B.o.B Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Rhythmic Songs for B.o.B.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2010 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Canadian single certifications – B.O.B – Nothin' on You". Music Canada.
- "Italian single certifications – B.O.B. feat. Bruno Mars – Nothin' on You" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Select Online in the field Sezione. Enter B.O.B. feat. Bruno Mars in the field Filtra. The certification will load automatically
- "Latest Gold / Platinum Singles". Radioscope. 17 July 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-07-24.
- UNSUPPORTED OR EMPTY REGION: South Korea (Gaon).
- "Gaon Digital Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Chart. Retrieved January 24, 2014.
- "British single certifications – B.O.B. feat. Bruno Mars – Nothin' on You". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved September 5, 2013. Enter Nothin' on You in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American single certifications – B.O.B. – Nothin' on You". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Charts Year End: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "dutchcharts.nl - Dutch charts portal". dutchcharts.nl (in Dutch). Hung Medien / hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- "South Korea Gaon International Year-end charts (2010)". Gaon Chart. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "End Of Year Charts: 2010" (PDF). UKChartsPlus. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- Radio1 Rodos Greece ::: UK Forthcoming Singles ::: Charts, DJ Promos, Dance, Lyrics, Free Mp3 Samples Downloads