|Developer(s)||PreSonus (formerly Notion Music)|
6.5.470 / January 15, 2019
|Operating system||Windows, macOS, iOS|
|License||Commercial Proprietary Software|
Notion, previously stylized as NOTION, is a computer software program for music composition and performance created by NOTION Music (a company located in Greensboro, North Carolina, originally known as Virtuosoworks), and now owned by PreSonus. Notion is available for use on Microsoft Windows, macOS and iOS.
Notion allows users to perform composition using a computer keyboard/mouse, MIDI keyboard, MIDI guitar, MIDI file, MusicXML file, or handwriting recognition. The application automatically handles aspects of music notation based on the input, such as stem direction and alignment of different rhythmic values.
From version 3 onward, Notion also supports ReWire, third-party VST effects and other third-party sound libraries, including presets for products from the Vienna Symphonic Library, EastWest, Miroslav Philharmonik, and Garritan Personal Orchestra.
Playback and Performance
The playback engine provides options for real-time tempo control as it interprets score marks, such as articulations and performance techniques.
Integration with Studio One
Starting with version 3.3 in 2016, the Studio One DAW (also developed by PreSonus) is integrated with Notion (version 6 and above). This integration allows the two applications to perform real-time audio and MIDI streaming (via either ReWire or PreSonus' own UCNET protocol) to transfer audio, note, track, VST and score data directly between each other. This connectivity can occur either with both applications running on the same computer, or on multiple computers connected to the same network.
This integration was expanded further by Notion versions 6.4 (May 2018, following the release of the Chord track for Studio One in version 4), which allowed the transfer of chord-level information between the two applications, and 6.5 (Jan 2019), which enabled the automatic translation of drum tracks into standard percussion notation.
- Stewart, Dave. "Notion Music Notion 3". Sound on Sound. Retrieved 2018-03-20.
- "Presonus Buys Notion". Synthtopia. 2013-09-23. Retrieved 2019-01-23.
- "Notion | Features | PreSonus". PreSonus. Retrieved 2018-03-20.
- McDonough, Andy (2017-12-05). "Review: PreSonus Notion 6 Music Notation Software". American Songwriter. Retrieved 2019-01-23.
- See article by Brian Humpherson in Zone Magazine, 2008 Issue 16
- Bigwood, Robin. "PreSonus Notion 5". Sound on Sound. Retrieved 2019-01-14.
- "Notion". PreSonus. Retrieved 2018-03-20.
- Stewart, Dave. "Virtuosoworks Notion". Sound on Sound. Retrieved 2019-01-23.
- Expanded on by editor review in Computer Music, February 2008
- "Studio One & Notion Integration". Sound on Sound. Retrieved 2019-01-14.
- Huyskens, Marcus (2016-09-03). "Studio One 3.3 - Notion 6 Integration Overview". Production Expert. Retrieved 2019-01-14.
- Hughes, Russ (2018-06-06). "Studio One 4 - The Amazing Power Of The Chord Track". Production Expert. Retrieved 2019-01-14.
- "New Notion 6.5 update increases integration with PreSonus Studio One". Rekkerd. 2019-01-17. Retrieved 2019-01-17.