Notorious (Joan Jett album)
Cover photo by Steven Klein
|Studio album by|
|Released||August 20, 1991|
|Recorded||1991 at The Hit Factory, New York City|
|Genre||Hard rock, power pop|
|Label||Blackheart/Epic-Sony (US and Japan)|
|Producer||Kenny Laguna, Thom Panunzio, Joan Jett, Phil Ramone|
|Joan Jett and the Blackhearts chronology|
|Singles from Notorious|
"Backlash" was the label's first choice for a single, but the resulting one-track CD was only available as a promotional item sent to DJs. "Don't Surrender" was released in the US as a CD single accompanied by a remix ("The Most Excellent Mix") and the non-LP track "Misunderstood". "Wait for Me", a song Jett wrote when she was just 16, was a cover of The Runaways' version from their 1977 album Waitin' for the Night. "I Want You" was a revised version of a song from 1979 that Jett and Kenny Laguna had written for a movie she was set to star in. The original lyrics (which can be heard on the fan-club only CD 1979) were nihilistic and raw, whereas the version heard on Notorious is politically correct.
Several editions of the album feature "Machismo" before "Goodbye", but this is the only difference.
"I Want You", as well as other songs by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, was featured in Floria Sigismondi's 2010 biopic film The Runaways, but they were not included on the soundtrack album of the film.
|1.||"Backlash"||Joan Jett, Paul Westerberg||3:28|
|2.||"Ashes in the Wind"||Jett, Desmond Child||4:22|
|3.||"The Only Good Thing (You Ever Said Was Goodbye)"||Jett, Child, Diane Warren||4:27|
|4.||"Lie to Me"||Jett, Child, Kenny Laguna||4:30|
|5.||"Don't Surrender"||Jett, Child||4:10|
|8.||"Treadin' Water"||Jett, Ricky Byrd, John McCurry, Richie Supa, Laguna||3:38|
|9.||"I Want You"||Jett, Ritchie Cordell, Laguna||3:04|
|10.||"Wait for Me" (The Runaways cover)||Jett||5:15|
|Japanese edition bonus track|
|11.||"Misunderstood"||Jett, Thommy Price, Laguna||3:56|
- Joan Jett - guitars, lead vocals, co-producer
- Ricky Byrd - lead guitars, backing vocals
- Thommy Price - drums
- Paul Westerberg - guitar, vocals on "Backlash"
- Phil Feit - bass on "Backlash", "Ashes In The Wind", "Lie To Me", "Don't Surrender", "Goodbye", "Treadin' Water", "I Want You" and "Wait For Me"
- Manny Caiati - bass on "The Only Good Thing (You Ever Said Was Goodbye)" and "Machismo"
- The Uptown Horns:
- Crispin Choe - baritone saxophone
- Robert Funk - trombone
- Arno Hecht - tenor saxophone
- Paul Litteral – trumpet
- The Federal Strings - strings
- Kenny Laguna - producer on all tracks
- Phil Ramone - producer on track 3
- Thom Panunzio - co-producer, engineer, mixing
- Thom Cadley, Carl Glanville, Guy Gray, John Aiosa - engineers
- Andy Grassi, Bob Smith - assistant engineers
- Bob Ludwig - mastering at Masterdisk, New York
- Huey, Steve. "Joan Jett / Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - Notorious review". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved July 11, 2015.
- "Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - Consumer Guide Review". Robert Christgau. Retrieved July 11, 2015.
- Sinclair, Tom (October 18, 1995). "Notorious - Joan Jett & the Blackhearts". Rolling Stone. Retrieved July 11, 2015.