Nouman Ali Khan
This article may lend undue weight to certain ideas, incidents, or controversies. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Nouman Ali Khan|
Nouman Ali Khan in 2015
|Title||Bayyinah Institute, Founder/CEO|
Nouman Ali Khan is an American Muslim speaker and Arabic instructor who founded The Bayyinah Institute for Arabic and Qur’anic Studies, after serving as a professor of Arabic at Nassau Community College. He has been named one of the 500 most influential Muslims in the world by the Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre of Jordan.
Khan was born in Germany to a Pakistani family and spent his preschool years in the former East Berlin. His father then worked for the Pakistan Embassy in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, where Khan attended the Pakistan Embassy school from grades 2 to 8. His father moved the family to New York when Khan was in his teens.
Khan is the author of two books: Divine Speech: Exploring Quran As Literature, self-published by Bayyinah in 2016, and Revive Your Heart: Putting Life in Perspective, published by Kube Publishing in 2017. He has also co-authored and self-published two Arabic textbooks for Bayyinah courses.
Accusations of sexual harassment
In September 2017, Khan was accused of inappropriate on-line interactions with numerous women, as reported in an article in The National newspaper. These accusations were repeated in international newspapers; Khan responded that the leaked text conversations were "between consenting adults" and that the women were marriage prospects, noting that he had been divorced for two years. In December, BuzzFeed News published an article on what it called Khan's "spiritual abuse" activities and claiming that he unsuccessfully begged four fellow clerics to not release a joint statement referring to "secret sham marriages". An article in The Atlantic noted some backlash against women who had accused Khan of misconduct.
- "The Muslim 500: Nouman Ali Khan". Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- Flaccus, Gillian (2013-09-21). "Demand for U.S.-Born Imams Up in American Mosques". Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- "The Muslim 500: Nouman Ali Khan".
- http://www.timeskuwait.com/Times_Nouman-Ali-Khan---The-Man--The-Mission-and-The-Media "Nouman Ali Khan - The Man, The Mission and The Media", The Times Kuwait, 17 February 2015.
- http://www.arabnews.com/news/445647 Sameen Tahir Khan, "Nouman Khan: The one-man Qur’an movement", Arab News, 22 March 2013.
- Khan, Nouman Ali; Randhawa, Sharif (2016-01-01). Divine Speech (1st ed.). Bayyinah Publications. ISBN 9780986275050.
- Khan, Nouman Ali (2017-05-16). Revive Your Heart: Putting Life in Perspective. Place of publication not identified: Kube Publishing Ltd. ISBN 9781847741011.
- "Amazon.com: Nouman Ali Khan: Books". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 2017-02-17.
- HA Hellyer. "Muslim western communities must work harder to protect the vulnerable". The National, 11 October 2017. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- "Nouman Ali Khan urges for 'theatre-free environment' to investigate allegations against him". Dawn. 24 September 2017. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- Sohail, Rahima (23 September 2017). "Pakistani-American preacher alleged to have inappropriate relations with women". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- "The Perils of #MeToo as a Muslim". Dhaka Tribune. 28 September 2017. Retrieved 24 December 2017.
- Allam, Hannah (20 December 2017). "Inside The 'Spiritual Abuse' Allegations Against A Celebrity Preacher". BuzzFeed News. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Muslim-Americans Face Challenges When Confronting Leader's Misconduct". National Public Radio. 1 January 2018. Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- Baig, Jalal (21 December 2017). "The Perils of #MeToo as a Muslim". The Atlantic (opinion). Retrieved 14 January 2018.
Though Khan has not been charged with a crime, the fallout polarized the Muslim community. In cyberspace specifically, there was a barrage of mudslinging against female critics to coerce them into silence. The women involved in the scandal, who claimed to be threatened with lawsuits if they spoke up, were also maligned.