Nové Město na Moravě
Nové Město na Moravě
|District||Žďár nad Sázavou|
|• Mayor||Michal Šmarda (ČSSD)|
|• Total||61.13 km2 (23.60 sq mi)|
|Elevation||594 m (1,949 ft)|
|• Density||170/km2 (430/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Nové Město na Moravě (Czech pronunciation: [ˈnovɛː ˈmɲɛsto ˈna moravjɛ]; German: Neustadt in Mähren; literally "New Town on Moravia") is a town in the Vysočina Region in the central Czech Republic. It has about 10,000 inhabitants.
Sports and recreation
Mountain bike races are also being organised in Nové Město, hosting races at the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup level as well as the cross-country event of the 2016 UCI Mountain Bike & Trials World Championships.
The town is a hub of many local roads, crossed by a first class road No. 19, and also by local railways No. 251 Tišnov - Žďár nad Sázavou. It is accessible from the D1 motorway, lying 30 km away from its nearest exit 141.
Business in town
Despite its distant mountainous location, the town has a long tradition of manufacturing. Among the significant sectors is the production of ski equipment by Sporten, of medical instruments by Medin, and of wireless communication modems by Racom.
EGU Brno Facility
- František Balvín – a cross country skier was born in Nové Město na Moravě
- Oldřich Blažíček, a Czech painter
- Hana Brady – 13-year-old Jewish girl murdered in the Holocaust. Subject of documentary and children's book, Hana's Suitcase
- George Brady – Holocaust survivor and brother of Hana Brady
- Vladimír Havlík – action artist, painter
- Radek Jaroš, a Czech mountaineer and author
- Jiří Macháček, a Czech actor
- Vincenc Makovský, a Czech sculptor
- Jaromír Nečas, a Czechoslovak politician
- Martin Nečas, a professional hockey player
- Miroslava Němcová, a Czech politician who served as 6th Speaker of the Chamber of Deputies of the Czech Republic from 2010 to 2013
- Martina Sáblíková – a speed skater
- Ivo Strejček, a Czech politician and Member of the European Parliament
- Jan Štursa – Czech sculptor, one of founders of modern Czech sculpture.
- Pavel Tlustoš – a Czech Agrochemist at the CULS Prague
- Martin Koukal – a Czech cross-country skier
- Eva Vítečková, a Czech basketball player
- Josef Vratislav Monse, a Moravian historian
- Ivana Zemanová, First Lady of the Czech Republic since 2013, wife of President Miloš Zeman
- "Population of municipalities of the Czech republic". Czech Statistical Office. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- "It's Here…Welcome to the IBU World Championships Biathlon 2013!". 7 February 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "ČD strengthening the transport service during the Biathlon World Championship in Nové Město na Moravě". Czech Railway Infrastructure Administration. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
Media related to Nové Město na Moravě at Wikimedia Commons