|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Traded as||NYSE MKT: NBY|
|Mark Sieczkarek, M.B.A., Chairman , Interim CEO
Tom Paulson, M.B.A., CFO
Glenn Moro,VP, Sales and Marketing Avenova
Justin M. Hall, Esq, Senior Vice President, General Counsel
NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is an Emeryville, California based clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, focused on developing novel, fast-acting, synthetic anti-infectives compounds. These compounds are designed to mimic the body's defense system against infection. The company is currently focused on products for the eye care market. Major products include Avenova, cleared by FDA for lid and lash cleansing as part of a regimen for Blepharitis. and NeutroPhase, used in treatment of Necrotizing Fasciitis
NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Inc. was founded by Ron Najafi, an organic chemist who had previously worked for several pharmaceutical, chemical and biotech companies in the U.S. Najafi became intrigued by HOCl, hypochlorous acid, an antimicrobial substance produced by White Blood Cells while investigating the chemical reaction of White Blood Cells during oxidative burst cycle. HOCl and other chlorine-containing chemicals fight invading microbes. These natural substances rapidly oxidize the cell walls of bacteria and the protein coats of viruses, rendering them inactive.
Najafi, chemistry Nobel Laureate Herbert C. Brown, and Purdue University Professor Dale Margerum recruited Dr. Lu Wang to NovaBay, where she is now Director of Product Development. She was able to develop the stable version of pure hypochlorous acid, without bleach impurities, which became NovaBay’s first product, NeutroPhase"Hypochlorous Acid as a Potential Wound Care Agent Part II" (PDF). "NeutroPhase® in chronic non-healing wounds" (PDF). "Treatment of Acute Necrotizing Fasciitis Using Negative Pressure Wound Therapy and Adjunctive NeutroPhase Irrigation Under the Foam".[not in citation given] and cleared by the Food and Drug Administration in 2010. The product successfully treats a variety of chronic non-healing wounds without the use of standard antibiotics. NovaBay announced two new products named CelleRx™ for Plastic Surgery and i-Lid™ Cleanser (Now Avenova) that was cleared by FDA for lid and lash cleansing as part of a regimen for Blepharitis. "NovaBay Avenova has a low toxicity but kills eyelid bacteria in dry eye or blepharitis patients.".
As of April 1, 2016[update], the members of the board of directors of NovaBay Pharmaceuticals were: Paul E. Freiman, Xinzhou LI (Paul Li), Gail Maderis, T. Alex McPherson, M.D., Ph.D., Massimo Radaelli, Ph.D., Mark Sieczkarek, Mijia WU (Bob Wu) and Xiaoyan LIU (Henry Liu).
Products on the market
Products under development
NovaBay developed a method for making a stable pure form of hypochlorous acid (HOCl), a substance produced by the immune system as an effective first defense against microbial invaders. The company calls their proprietary formulation Neutrox. The company's chemists also created a related family of compounds which the company calls Aganocides.
The company is currently developing compounds with anti-bacterial and anti-viral action. Potential applications include flesh-eating disease, problems related to in-dwelling urinary catheters, and common eye conditions. Compounds are also being developed for the veterinary market.
- "NovaBay Avenova has a low toxicity but kills eyelid bacteria in dry eye or blepharitis patients.".
- "Treatment of Acute Necrotizing Fasciitis Using Negative Pressure Wound Therapy and Adjunctive NeutroPhase Irrigation Under the Foam".
- "NNFF Names NovaBay's (NBY) NeutroPhase Its Official 'Flesh-Eating Disease' Wound Cleanser".
- "Hypochlorous Acid as a Potential Wound Care Agent Part I" (PDF).
- "510(k) Summary NeutroPhase® Skin and Wound Cleaner OTC" (PDF).
- NovaBay’s new Advanced i-Lid Cleanser has been Cleared by the FDA for Cleaning, Removing Debris and Microbes from the Skin around the Eyes, the Eyelids and Eyelashes eyelid and lash cleansing as part of a regimen for Blepharitis."
- Steven E. F. Brown (February 26, 2014). "NovaBay Pharmaceuticals makes deal for flesh-eating bacteria cleanser". San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- "NovaBay Pharmaceuticals and Virbac Enter Into a Collaboration and License Agreement for Animal Health".