It features flexible layout, native interface for both Mac (using Cocoa) and Windows (using Fluent), and a strong emphasis on the visual aspects of Mind Mapping. It includes a large library of high quality images (and iPhoto integration on Mac) as well as the ability to drag on images from other programs, as well as setting reflections, borders, boundaries, corner styles, a glassy button look, etc. to make the Mind Maps visually appealing.
There are three editions of the desktop application: Express, Pro and Platinum. There is also a web application for social Mind Map sharing, called NovaMind Connect, which takes NovaMind Mind Maps and turns them into web pages, as well as providing for social functions such as comments, rating, tagging, friends etc.
- Rainbow coloring,
- Suggesterator branch suggestion system
- Multi-map document view,
- Animated presenter,
- Integrated outliner that can be used at the same time as the Mind Map creation/editing,
- Free layout mode where you can put the branches where you like,
- Integrated screenwriting system and formatted screenplay output (Platinum edition),
- NovaMind Connect social Mind Map sharing
Imports/exports include MS Word, RTF, PowerPoint, Keynote, MS Project, MindManager, Final Draft, Movie Magic, OPML, OmniOutliner as well as a wide range of image formats. It also integrates with Merlin project management software on Mac OS X. NovaMind is also integrated with the iPhone mindmapping application iBlueSky.
NovaMind's internationalization supports English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, and Japanese.
- "New products to take center stage at Macworld Expo". Macworld. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- GigaOm NovaMind- Mind Mapping Software By Brendan Byrne Apr. 23, 2005, 6:30am PT http://gigaom.com/apple/novamind-mind-mapping-software/
- Mapping an argument with Novamind http://www.dwrl.utexas.edu/category/lesson-plan-tags/novamind
- Using NovaMind to Brainstorm for Papers http://www.dwrl.utexas.edu/students/using-novamind-brainstorm-papers
- Concept mapping http://www.d.umn.edu/~dglisczi/8003web/SyllabusEduc8003StudentDraftNov.html