Nova Scotia Museum
|Location||Nova Scotia, Canada|
Nova Scotia Museum (NSM) is the corporate name for the most decentralized museum in Canada - 27 museums across Nova Scotia, including over 200 historic buildings, living history sites, vessels, specialized museums and close to a million artifacts and specimens. These resources are managed either directly or through a unique system of co-operative agreements with societies and local boards. The NSM delivers its programs, exhibits and products to serve both local residents and tourists in Nova Scotian communities. Over 620,000 people visited last year, making it a huge part of the province's tourism infrastructure.
The NSM is created by the Nova Scotia Museum Act, a provincial legislation. Through its museums, collections, research, exhibits and programs, the Nova Scotia Museum provides Nova Scotians and visitors to the province with an opportunity to experience and learn about Nova Scotia's social and natural history.
The Nova Scotia Museum began with the collection of the Mechanics Institute in Halifax, founded in December 1831. The museum was formally established in 1868. The Rev. Dr. David Honeyman was the first curator. He was followed by Harry Piers who as curator from 1899 to 1940 oversaw a steady and meticulously documented expansion of the museum's collection.
Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, Halifax
Uniacke Estate Museum Park, Mount Uniacke, NS
Sherbrooke Village, Sherbrooke
List of individual museums
- The Acadian Village of Nova Scotia, Isle Madame 
- Balmoral Grist Mill Museum, Balmoral
- Barrington Woolen Mill, Barrington
- Barrington Old Meeting House, Barrington
- Cossit House, Sydney
- Dory Shop Museum, Shelburne 
- Firefighters' Museum of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth 
- Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic, Lunenburg
- Fisherman's Life Museum, Jeddore-Oyster Pond
- Fundy Geological Museum, Parrsboro 
- Haliburton House Museum, Windsor
- Highland Village Museum/An Clachan Gàidhealach, Iona
- Lawrence House Museum, Maitland 
- Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, Halifax
- McCulloch House Museum, Pictou
- Nova Scotia Museum of Industry, Stellarton
- Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History, Halifax
- North Hills Museum, Granville Ferry 
- Perkins House Museum, Liverpool
- Prescott House Museum, Starrs Point 
- Ross Farm Museum, New Ross
- Ross-Thomson House Museum, Shelburne
- Shand House Museum, Windsor 
- Sherbrooke Village, Sherbrooke
- Sutherland Steam Mill Museum, Denmark
- Uniacke Estate Museum Park, Mount Uniacke
- Wile Carding Mill, Bridgewater 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nova Scotia Museum.|
- "Nova Scotia Museum". Council of Nova Scotia Archives.
- "Acadian village". Official site.
- "Dory". Official site.
- "Firefighters' Museum". Official site.
- The Canadian Encyclopedia
- "Fundy Geological Museum". Official site.
- "Haliburton House". Official site.
- "Lawrence House". Official site.
- "North Hills". Official site.
- "Perkins House". Official site.
- "Prescott House". Official site.
- "Ross Farm". Official site.
- "Shand House". Official site.
- "Wile Carding Mill". Official site.