Novant Health is a four-state integrated network of physician clinics, outpatient centers and hospitals. The Novant Health network consists of more than 1,500 physicians and 26,000 employees at more than 500 locations, including 15 medical centers and hundreds of outpatient facilities and physician clinics. Headquartered in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Novant Health serves more than 4 million patients annually. In 2014, Novant Health provided more than $639 million in community benefit, including charity care and services. The organization was formed on July 1, 1997 by the merger of Carolina Medicorp of Winston-Salem, North Carolina and Presbyterian Health Services of Charlotte, North Carolina.
Novant Health's new system-wide brand launched April 17, 2013. The new logo color aubergine represented "excellence" and "warmth."
Mergers and Re-branding
Novant Health announced a new brand in 2013 to bring a unifying business identity to its mix of more than 400 local brands. The brand reinvention was done by Prophet, a brand management and marketing agency headquartered in San Francisco, California.
Reorganization and Layoffs
In July 2015, Novant Health concluded a months-long internal reorganization by terminating approximately 2% of its workforce, or about 400 employees. Despite the layoff announcement, officials said in a statement that the health system was "financially healthy" and a year-end report showed it generated a profit of $201.8 million the previous fiscal year. This was the largest system-wide layoff incident for Novant Health after the organization previously terminated 289 employees in May 2012, which caused picketing and protests associated with the Occupy movement.
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital affiliation
Novant Health announced a new affiliation with St. Jude Children's Research Hospital on April 21, 2015. The St. Jude affiliate clinic is located in Charlotte, North Carolina and is the seventh to be established. The St. Jude Affiliate Clinic at Novant Health Hemby Children's Hospital provides specialized hematology and oncology care for pediatric patients in North and South Carolina.
Novant Health UVA Health System
Novant Health UVA Health System was formed January 1, 2016, as a new regional partnership between Novant Health and the University of Virginia Health System. This joint operating company was created through the merger of three regional hospitals: UVA Health System Culpeper Hospital, Novant Health Haymarket Medical Center and Novant Health Prince William Medical Center, as well as additional facilities from Novant Health including assisted living, outpatient cancer care, and ambulatory physician clinics.
Comprehensive Stroke Center certifications
On June 23, 2017, it was reported that Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center had achieved a Comprehensive Stroke Center designation from the Joint Commission and American Heart Association, the first hospital in Charlotte, North Carolina with the designation and the second hospital within the Novant Health system. Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center in Winston-Salem, North Carolina was previously designated as a Comprehensive Stroke Center in 2012, and has been re-certified three times. Comprehensive Stroke Center certification recognizes hospitals that meet standards to treat the most complex stroke cases, and is the highest level of stroke certification available.
In June 2017, Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center received approval from the North Carolina Office of Emergency Medical Services as a “practicing Level II trauma center." The hospital was previously designated as a Level III trauma center in 2016. To qualify for the full Level II designation, the hospital must care for 1,200 trauma patients in the year following the practicing designation and be evaluated on physician response times and patient outcomes.
As part of its trauma program, Novant Health launched a medical transport helicopter in November 2017 in partnership with the Med-Trans Air Medical Transport network. Novant Health MedFlight, an Airbus Eurocopter EC135, is based at Novant Health Rowan Medical Center in Salisbury, North Carolina and transports patients within a 150 nautical-mile radius.
- Novant Health Brunswick Medical Center
- Novant Health Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital
- Novant Health Clemmons Medical Center
- Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center
- Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical Center
- Novant Health Kernersville Medical Center
- Novant Health Matthews Medical Center
- Novant Health Medical Park Hospital
- Novant Health Mint Hill Medical Center (opening 2018)
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center
- Novant Health Rowan Medical Center
- Novant Health Thomasville Medical Center
Virginia (joint operations)
- Novant Health UVA Health System Culpeper Medical Center
- Novant Health UVA Health System Haymarket Medical Center
- Novant Health UVA Health System Prince William Medical Center
- Hoppszallern, Suzanna. "Novant Health Highlights Patient Convenience". hhnmag.com. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- "About us | Novant Health". www.novanthealth.org. Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- "Novant Health". Novant Health. Novant Health. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- "Novant Health". IdentityWorks.
- ":idden H". underconsideration.com. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "Prophet Client Novant Health Unveils Unified System-Wide Brand". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "Up to 400 workers to be laid off in Novant Health reorganization". www.charlotteobserver.com. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "Novant to lay off 289, including 150 jobs in Winston-Salem". bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "Occupy Winston-Salem protests mass layoffs by Novant Health, Inc". www.fightbacknews.org. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Novant Health: Seventh St. Jude Affiliate Clinic comes to Charlotte". www.wbtv.com. Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- "Charlotte Affiliate - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital". www.stjude.org. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- "Our History - Novant Health UVA Health System". www.novanthealthuva.org. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- "Novant Health Presbyterian receives advanced stroke center certification". www.charlotteobserver.com. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- "Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification". www.heart.org. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- "Charlotte Presbyterian now a treatment choice for trauma victims". www.charlotteobserver.com. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- "Novant Health expands reach with air transport". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2018-01-18.