Novo-Ryazanskaya Street Garage
|Truck garage in Novoryazanskaya Street|
Western tip of the horseshoe, 2007 photograph
|Town or city||27 Novoryazanskaya Street, Moscow
|Client||City of Moscow|
|Structural system||Masonry, steel roof structure|
|Design and construction|
|Structural engineer||Vladimir Shukhov|
Novoryazanskaya Street Garage, also spelled Novo-Ryazanskaya Street Garage, and known as "Horseshoe garage", was designed by Konstantin Melnikov and Vladimir Shukhov (structural engineering) in 1926 and completed in 1929 at 27, Novoryazanskaya Street in Krasnoselsky District, Moscow, Russia, near Kazansky Rail Terminal.
The main building of this truck garage has a semi-circular form, with service workshops and office in a standalone building between the tips of a "horseshoe". Each of two levels could store 110 trucks; unlike Bakhmetevsky Bus Garage, these had to be parked conventionally, using reverse gear. Each tip of the horseshoe has a V-shaped protrusion with entry and exit gates set at an angle to the street line; this was supposed to simplify entry and exit from a narrow street.
This garage is still used as such, and houses Moscow's Fourth Bus Park. However, since modern articulated buses are longer than 1920s trucks, present-day parking arrangement differs from Melnikov's efficient layout.
- Truck Garage, Novo-Ryazanskaya Street
- Elizabeth Cooper English: «Arkhitektura i mnimosti»: The origins of Soviet avant-garde rationalist architecture in the Russian mystical-philosophical and mathematical intellectual tradition", a dissertation in architecture, 264 p., University of Pennsylvania, 2000.
- Rainer Graefe und andere, «Vladimir G. Suchov 1853—1939. Die Kunst der sparsamen Konstruktion.», 192 S., Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart, 1990, ISBN 3-421-02984-9.
- Мельников К.С.: "Архитектура моей жизни. Творческая концепция. Творческая практика." — М.: Искусство, 311 стр., 1985
- Хан-Магомедов С.О.: "Константин Мельников" — М., изд. "Архитектура-С", cерия: "Мастера архитектуры", 296 стр., 2006, ISBN 5-9647-0095-0
- Шухова Е.М.: «Владимир Григорьевич Шухов. Первый инженер России.», 368 стр., Изд. МГТУ, Москва, 2003, ISBN 5-7038-2295-5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Novo-Ryazanskaya Street Garage.|