Novosibirsk State University
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Новосибирский государственный университет (НГУ)
|Affiliation||Specialized Educational Scientific Center|
|Endowment||21 million rubles|
Novosibirsk, 630090, Russian Federation|
Novosibirsk State University (NSU) is one of the leading Russian higher-education establishments, located in Novosibirsk, a cultural and industrial center of Siberia. University has an important profile as the generator of the academic elite in Russia. NSU was created on the principles of integration of education and science, the early involvement of the students with research activities and engagement of the leading scientists in the teaching programmes.
- 1 Facts about NSU
- 2 History
- 3 Rankings
- 4 Research
- 5 University
- 6 The Specialized Educational Scientific Center of NSU
- 7 Campus. Services & Facilities
- 8 Alumni
- 9 External links
Facts about NSU
- Second best university in the QS University Rankings: Emerging Europe and Central Asia 2016
- 2500 university staff members
- 73 members of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- 250 position in the main QS Ranking (NSU is among the top 2% of best universities in the world)
- 7000 students
- More than 1400 international students from 52 countries
- 138 scientific laboratories and research centers using advanced equipment
- 36% publication with international co-authors
- Research groups are involved in 38 international collaborations
- 28 scientific internships for international students
- 22 international joint programs
- 119 partner universities from 24 countries
- 80% of teachers of Novosibirsk State University - scientists of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
In terms of resources vast Siberia has always been and remains the essential region for entire Russia. In the late 50s Siberia provided the country with 75% of coal and possessed 80% of hydropower resources. Siberia quickly became industrial, but then science was largely of the applied type and did not satisfy its needs. The USSR Academy of Sciences came to the understanding that there was the need for fundamental science. In 1958, the idea was implemented with the establishment of the Siberian Division of the Academy of Sciences of the Soviet Union near the large industrial city of Novosibirsk. From the very outset, the founders of the Siberian Branch of RAS were concerned about the issue of providing the future scientific center with personnel. In order to have a constant source of replenishment for the Siberian scientific institutions, it was necessary to provide personnel training on the spot. Thus the idea was born to establish a university in Novosibirsk. Now the third-most populous city in Russia is ranked 93 on the QS Best Student Cities rating.
Novosibirsk State University quickly grew. During the first 9 years 900 professionals were trained in its walls, it consisted of 8 departments, was staffed with 270 teachers, and conducted research at 46 sections.
The best scientists lectured at the university. Many applied programs were new throughout the Soviet Union.
Novosibirsk State University was a unique institution, existing in close cooperation with R&D institutions. There are several dozens of them per 1.5 square km. The project of an academic town with a University was even shown at the World Exhibition in Montreal, and after that it became the model for other academic towns.
|Position||Among Russian universities|
|QS World University Rankings||250||3|
|THE World University Rankings||52||6|
|QS University Rankings: Emerging Europe and Central Asia 2018||2||2|
|QS University Rankings: BRICS||11||2|
|THE Golden Age Universities||Top 100||2|
|QS University Rankings: by Subject. Physics & Astronomy||Top 100||4|
|QS World University Rankings: Natural Sciences||63||2|
|QS World University Rankings: Engineering & Technology||200||2|
Novosibirsk State University is the largest Russian scientific and educational center. Situated in the world-famous research center of Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences Akademgorodok, with 35 research institutes and innovative technopark, the University gives students the opportunity to do research while studying More than 100 research laboratories equipped with various computer devices. So the University aims at training high-profile specialists for science, education and science-intensive industry.
The main areas of training and research: Elementary Particle Physics, Photonics and Quantum Optics, Research of the Arctic, Biomedicine and Cancer Therapy Innovation, Chemical Engineering, Low-Dimensional Hybrid Materials, Omic Technologies, Mathematics, Archeology, Language studies etc.
Interdisciplinary Center of Elementary Particle Physics and Astrophysics
The Novosibirsk State University Interdisciplinary Center of Elementary Particle Physics and Astrophysics (ICEPPA) unites 13 laboratories working in the fields of Elementary Particle Physics and Astrophysics.
The Interdisciplinary Center’s Laboratories participate in large international scientific projects including experiments in the fields of High Energy Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmic Ray Physics. The following are research projects the Center’s Laboratories are engaged in:
- Astrophysics Cosmology and Cosmic Rays.
- Experiments on electron-positron colliders
- Experiments on Hadron Colliders
- Search for new physical phenomena in experiments with intense muon beams.
The Laboratory for Searching for Interactions Outside the Standard Model Framework participates in the preparation of two experiments at Fermilab (USA). The experiment, Mu2e, is the search for the conversion of a muon into an electron when interacting with nuclei, the experiment, g-2, is devoted to a precise measurement of the magnetic moment of the muon.
- Development of new detectors and colliders.
The Aston-NSU International Centre for Photonics
The main objective of the project is to develop a physical platform aimed at the application of advanced knowledge in laser technologies, in long distance communications and in medical sensing devices technologies.
Main areas of research include:
- advanced concepts and fundamental new theories in nonlinear photonic devices and systems;
- new technologies for optical communications, lasers, safe data transmission and medicine;
- practical applications of developed technologies in high-speed coherent optical communications, in advanced laser systems for scientific, industrial and medical applications, and in innovative systems for safe data transmission.
The Center for Photonics created in partnership with Aston University (UK) offers NSU students access to world-class laboratories in the field of high-speed optical communications, fiber-optic and femtosecond laser technologies.
Research groups are involved in 38 international collaborations.
NSU has 6 international collaborations in the field of physics elementary particles and astrophysics and 12 collaboration with institute of nuclear physics of the Siberian branch of the RAS.
NSU has partnership agreements with 141 universities from 27 countries.
- Department of Mechanics and Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Natural Sciences
- Department of Geology and Geophysics
- Department of Economics
- Department of Information Technologies
- Institute for the Humanities
- Institute for the Medicine and Psychology
- Institute for the Department of Law and Philosophy
NSU provides modern, internationally competitive, classical fundamental education. At the university is trained under the ВА, МА, PhD programs.
The university conducts training in Russian on 23 Bachelor's programs, 17 master's programs, 13 postgraduate courses, 1 specialty program and 9 lines of residency at the medical faculty. To learn Russian there are 6 levels of the program Russian as a foreign language. In English, there are 12 МА programs, 1 specialty program - medicine and 1 PhD programs.
There are short training programs: Siberian Summer School, Russian Language Summer Sсhool, Research Internships, Russian Language Courses.
Education for International Students
Grants and Scholarships
Every year foreign students have an opportunity to apply for the Russian Government Scholarship which covers full tuition and monthly living allowance. Travel costs, living expenses and health insurance policy are not included. The Scholarships is only granted on a competitive basis. Selection criteria and procedure as well as the number of scholarships depend on the country of applicant. Application procedure starts in January. Deadline depends on the country of applicant (March–June).
Along with this, for students from partner universities, there is an opportunity to freely apply to such programs as Erasmus+, DAAD, The Fulbright Program.
In September 2015 NSU entered the global market of online-education by announcing its first courses on Coursera platform. By offering its courses to the wider audience online, NSU provides access to high-quality education for high school students, university students, specialists, and for everyone interested in recent scientific discoveries.
Since January 2016 12 courses launched on the largest international platform «Coursera» and Russian platform «Lectorium».
NSU research internship is an unique opportunity to conduct research projects in the heart of the Siberian science center under the supervision of NSU professors, who are world renowned scientists and researchers. The main feature of a research internship at NSU is its interdisciplinary approach. Specialists in biology, physics, mathematics, geology, archaeology, and chemistry work close to each other in the 35 research institutes of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences in Akdemgorodok. R&D institutes specialized in multiple scientific fields are clustered together on a relatively small territory.
Siberian Summer School
Siberian Summer School to be held at the Novosibirsk State University from 1st till the 22nd of July 2017 includes exclusive courses into the Chemistry of Future Materials, Big Data Analytics or philosophical and historical aspects of the East and West relationships. All courses are taught in English.
Russian Language Courses
NSU offers language courses for students with various levels of Russian, including preparation courses for the Test of Russian as a Foreign Language (TORFL).
NSU is one of the best universities of Russia, which for over 15 years has undertaken the creation of a disabled students’ program. The University has now gained a great experience in this field and masters the modern technologies which enable these students to get equal opportunities in their academic and extracurricular life. Regardless of their health status, these students receive a qualitative education and evolve in conditions favorable to their self-realization.
The Specialized Educational Scientific Center of NSU
The Physics and Mathematics School named after M. A. Lavrentiev of NSU is one of the four specialized educational scientific centers in Russia, where gifted senior school students, who are enthusiastic about natural sciences, study. First of all, the Physics and Mathematics School is immersion in the unusual atmosphere and the unique environment which is filled with various researches, experiments, new achievements and adventures.
The SESC NSU specializes in two profiles: physics-mathematics and chemistry-biology. It is possible to begin studying at SESC after the 8th, 9th and 10th comprehensive school classes. A high school training system is designed to attend lectures as well as focus on laboratory skills. It allows students to study sciences and humanities effectively.
Campus. Services & Facilities
- Accommodation. New dormitories for international students are 3 minutes walk from the university. Comfortable double rooms with forest view are available, as well as some home-stay opportunities. The campus is located 800 meters from the Ob Lake and the beach.
- Average cost of living. Students do not have to pay for their books and other materials. Accommodation fees – $20–25 per month. Living costs – $120–150 per month.
- Support for new students. The University has an adaptation program for foreign students (pre-arrival support, welcome talk, welcome party, international student advisors, excursions in Novosibirsk, clubs, course on Russian culture).
- Library. Free educational, scientific and fiction literature, free access to the world's largest publishers and 24 world and Russian databases.
- Sport. NSU sports center offers 40 sport activities to students, university staff and all interested in sports. 2 swimming pools, tennis court, 2 stadium, small football field, 7 specialized halls: two game halls, an aerobics hall, a gymnastics hall, a wrestling hall, a boxing hall and a gym.
- Societies & Clubs. The University caters to quite a large variety of tastes in dancing, music, drawing, singing and theater, with different groups of students participating in various performances. You do not need any special preparation to join most of the clubs. All the classes take place on campus.
Alumni are an important part of University. The alumni association “NSU union” connects in one community people sharing the values, philosophy and interests of our University. Alumni are engaged in science, politics, education, business, etc.
There are 45000 alumni in 49 countries all over the world:
- 50-80% personnel IT - industries in Novosibirsk - graduates of NSU
- 60-70% alumni work in institutions of the Siberian Branch of the RAS
- 30-40% alumni work in high-tech companies (Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, Sibur etc.)
- Efim Zelmanov
- Vladimir E. Zakharov
- Ivan Chestakov
- Vasily Parkhomchuk
- Arkady Vainshtein
- Vladimir Shiltsev
- Ualbay Umirbaev
- Viktor Fadin
- Albert Galeev
- Sergey Alexeyenko
- Alexander anikin
- Aseev Alexander
- Bagaev Sergey
- Bukhtiyarov Valery
- Vlasov Valentin
- Goncharov Nikolay
- Goncharov Sergey
- Dikansky Nicholas
- Ershov Yury
- Kolchanov Nikolay
- Korovin Sergey
- Kuznetsov Evgeny
- Latyshev Alexander
- Logachev Pavel
- Nikolay Lyakhov
- Novikova Alexandra
- Mikhailenko Boris
- Nikitin Alexander
- Victor Ovcharenko
- Nikolay Pokhilenko
- Ratakhin Nicholas
- Sagdeev Renad
- Sobolev Alexander
- Fridman Alexey
- Shalagin Anatoly
- Shokin Yury
- Epov Mikhail
- Yalandin Mikhail
- Yarmolyuk Vladimir
- (in Russian) Novosibirsk State University Homepage
- (in English) Novosibirsk State University Homepage
- Department of Natural Science
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Novosibirsk State University.|