The official emblem for the Novus Summit
|Location(s)||United Nations General Assembly Hall, New York, New York, U.S.|
|Organized by||UN DESA, Kunal Sood|
The Novus Summit is an annual summit held at the United Nations General Assembly Hall in New York City. First held on July 17th 2016, the summit is a partnership with the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs in support for the 17 UN Global Goals, also known as the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
On September 25th 2015, the United Nations adopted its “2030 mandate” for sustainability. The mandate called for countries in the UN to adopt a set of goals in order to “end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all as part of a new sustainable development agenda.” The Novus Summit was originally curated by social-impact strategist Kunal Sood in partnership with the UN DESA in order to support the 17 UN global goals and feature 17 voices of “positive change.” According to a press release, 17 innovators are honored each year for each of the UN’s original 17 goals, the mission of the summit being to, “serve as an intergenerational platform to inspire humanity to unite in action for positive impact, and stimulate action around the 2030 Agenda by sharing stories of hope, transformation, and resilience in a highly immersive environment.”
The inaugural summit took place on July 17, 2016. Among those featured were Iranian-American engineer Anousheh Ansari, University of Pennsylvania psychologist Martin Seligman, and Jacque Fresco (The Venus Project founder), astronaut Scott Parazynski, Antarctic scientist and activist Robert Swan, Oxford research scientist and primatologist Isabel Behncke Izquierdo, activist Lakshmi Puri, one of Time magazine’s 100 Most Influential People Roya Mahboob, entrepreneur Peter Diamandis, CNN executive Parisa Khosravi, television director Vikram Gandhi, Maye Musk the mother of Tesla, Inc. founder Elon Musk, and the founder of the World Toilet Organization, Jack Sim. There was also a performance by Indian entertainer and Grammy Award winner Ricky Kej.
- "United Nations Official Website". UNLive. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "United Nations sustainable development goals". Los Angeles Times. March 3, 2016. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- Faktor, Steve (5 December 2016). "Happiness in the Age of Abundance". Forbes. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "First-Ever Novus Summit at the United Nations General Assembly Hall July 17 Honors 17 Science, Innovation, and Technology Leaders for 17 UN Global Goals to Transform Our World featuring Keynote by Peter Diamandis". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- Khare, Sharad (5 December 2016). "In Dialogue With Peter Diamandis". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- Ho, Olivia (18 July 2016). "Singapore's Mr Toilet among 17 honoured at international Novus Summit". The Straits Times. Singapore.
- Stuti, Agarwal. "Bengaluru boy Ricky Kej performs at the UN General Assembly - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- Papadatos, Markos (28 September 2016). "Interview: Kunal Sood opens up about TED Residency and book (Includes interview)". DigitalJournal.