Now – The Christmas Album
- This article describes a 1985 album in the UK "Now!" series. It should not be confused with other similarly titled "Now!" Christmas albums. For more information, see Now That's What I Call Music! and Now That's What I Call Music! discography.
Now – The Christmas Album is a compilation album released in 1985. The album is part of the (UK) Now! series, and collects popular Christmas songs of the last few decades. It reached number 1 on the UK Albums Chart for two weeks, in between two runs of Now That's What I Call Music 6. The album has since been superseded by subsequent two-disc and later three-disc releases in the 2000s.
|Now That's What I Call Music - The Christmas Album|
|Compilation album by Various Artists|
|Label||Virgin / EMI|
- Band Aid : "Do They Know It's Christmas?" – 3:41
- Wizzard : "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" – 4:42
- Slade : "Merry Xmas Everybody" – 3:44
- Wham! : "Last Christmas"' – 4:28
- Elton John : "Step Into Christmas" – 4:33
- Mike Oldfield : "In Dulce Jubilo" – 2:51
- Gary Glitter : "Another Rock n' Roll Christmas" – 3:45
- Paul McCartney : "Wonderful Christmastime" – 3:49
- Shakin' Stevens : "Blue Christmas" – 2:48
- John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Band : "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" – 3.36
- Greg Lake : "I Believe In Father Christmas" – 3.31
- Chris De Burgh : "A Spaceman Came Travelling" – 5:04
- Jona Lewie : "Stop The Cavalry" – 2:57
- The Beach Boys : "Little Saint Nick" – 2:01
- Queen : "Thank God It's Christmas" – 4:19
- Mud : "Lonely This Christmas" – 3:34
- Johnny Mathis : "When a Child Is Born (Soleado)" – 3:42
- Bing Crosby : "White Christmas" – 3:06
The track listing above is for the original 18 track release of this album. The above running order is for The Christmas Album. Later copies had only 17 tracks, as the Queen song was removed.
Format and compilation name
The name of the compilation varied depending on what format it was purchased on.
The LP was called The Christmas Album, the cassette was named The Christmas Tape and the CD was known as The Christmas Compact Disc. The CD of this compilation was released a year after the original album in 1986 - it is also very collectable.
2016 Vinyl Reissue
A new version of the compilation, with a new track list and artwork inspired by the original, is set for release on 26 November 2016 on vinyl only.
Now - The Instore Tape
As part of the promotion for Now That's What I Call Music! 10, Virgin and EMI did a limited run of sampler cassettes which were sent to record stores prior to release in October 1987 to generate hype. "Now - The Instore Tape" features snippets of each track from "NOW 10" on one side and tracks from "Now The Christmas Album" (which for the first time had been issued on CD in 1986) on the other.
Each track on the cassette was introduced by David "The Kid" Jensen who was the voice-over for the NOW adverts at the time. A full description and pictures are on Discogs
by various artists
|UK number-one album
15 December 1985 – 28 December 1985
by various artists
|This article on a 1980s compilation album is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|