Now TV (UK)
|Original author(s)||Sky plc|
|Initial release||17 July 2012|
LG Smart TV
Now TV Box
Roku Streaming Stick
Now TV (stylised as NOW TV) is an internet television service owned by Sky plc. It was first announced in February 2012, and launched in the United Kingdom on 17 July 2012. The service is available to watch via computer, various mobile devices, some game consoles and set-top boxes, with a Now TV branded box launched in July 2013. It is not viewable via Sky's digital satellite television service, or through the Sky Go Internet service.
Now TV commenced service in July 2012 by offering only films at first, adding sports in March 2013, and entertainment channels in October 2013. Movie and entertainment channels are accessed by paying a monthly fee, and sports on an ad-hoc basis ("pay as you go"). Now TV is designed for people who have no existing pay TV service.
Now TV is available via the web on Mac OS or Windows, as an app on Android and iOS devices, PlayStation 3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 consoles, and LG Smart TVs, as well as Apple TV, Roku, Now TV Box and YouView set-top boxes, its Sky Sports Day Pass content on Apple's AirPlay, and its full range of services on both the Roku Streaming Stick and as a Google Cast link to Chromecast, which are plug-ins for modern flatscreen TVs through the HDMI connector. It is not currently available on the Amazon Fire TV set-top box. The service offers streams up to 720p resolution depending on the playback device and uses adaptive bitrate streaming to minimise disruption.
Now TV Box
In July 2013 Sky launched a Now TV-branded Roku streaming box allowing users to stream Now TV content to their TV via an analogue base band connection or a HDMI, currently enabling it to display content from BBC iPlayer, All 4, Demand 5, Spotify, ITV Player and Sky News. It has limited access to the Roku Channel Store and only a pre-approved list of Channels can be downloaded. A number of third-party channels can be side-loaded to the device using its Developer Mode.
At sometime in August 2015 Sky will be launching a NOW TV Box 2 [based around a Roku 3] in black. At launch it will offer the same content at the same native resolution as the current NOW TV (white) box. The new NOW TV Box 2 will however offer a network port (as well as wi-fi), a USB port and an SD card slot.
As of October 2013 Now TV offers both live streaming and on-demand content from the following channels. Some programmes may not be available for live streaming due to rights restrictions.
Sky Movies month pass
- Sky Movies Action & Adventure
- Sky Movies Comedy
- Sky Movies Crime & Thriller
- Sky Movies Disney
- Sky Movies Drama & Romance
- Sky Movies Family
- Sky Movies Premiere
- Sky Movies Sci-Fi & Horror
- Sky Movies Select
- Sky Movies Showcase
- Sky Movies Greats
Sky Sports day pass
Sports channels offer live streaming only.
Entertainment month pass
- Sky 1
- Sky Arts 1
- Sky Atlantic
- Sky Living
- Comedy Central
- Discovery Channel
- Disney Channel
- ITV Encore
- Nick Jr.
- ABC Studios (on-demand only)
- "BSkyB Corporate | Now's the time for NOW TV". Corporate.sky.com. 2012-07-16. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- "Pay-as-you-go Sky Sports comes to NOW TV". Corporate.sky.com. 2013-03-19. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- Skipworth, Hunter (2013-10-29). "New Sky Now TV package brings Sky 1 access and more". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "BBC News - Sky announces details of NowTV internet TV service". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-03-21. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- Stallard, Katie (2012-07-17). "No Dish, No Contract - Sky Launches NOW TV". News.sky.com. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- Marc Chacksfield (2013-07-25). "Now TV now beamed straight to LG TVs | News". TechRadar. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- "Stream NOW TV straight to your LG devices. Join NOW TV today". NOW TV. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- "AIRPLAY MIRRORING (APPLE IOS)". Now TV. 22 May 2014. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "ITV announces new drama pay channel Encore for Sky - TV News". Digital Spy. 2014-01-29. Retrieved 2014-04-17.
- Lawler, Richard. "Sky's Now TV box is a £9.99 Roku clone that streams iPlayer and more". Engadget.com. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- Bodell, Matt (2013-11-04). "List of Available Channels & Apps on Now TV". Akufu. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- "Watch Movies, Films & Sports Online - NOW TV". Help.nowtv.com. 2014-01-09. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- Langshaw, Mark (24 July 2014). "NOW TV adds Nickelodeon and Nick Jnr to Entertainment Month Pass". Digital Spy. Retrieved 30 July 2014.