Nower Hill High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Nower Hill High School|
George V Avenue
|Motto||Service not self|
|Established||April 8th 1929|
|Department for Education URN||137028 Tables|
|Chair of Governors||Kevin Ward|
|Age||11 to 18|
|Publication||Nower Hill News (every term)|
|Badges||3 small scimitars|
and a sword
Nower Hill High School is a secondary academy school with a sixth form, in Pinner in the London Borough of Harrow. The school currently has around 300 pupils in each year group including over 400 in the Sixth form, making over 1900 pupils in the school. Pupils range from 11–18 years of age. In 2011 the school changed to academy status.
The school, then known as Headstone School, started life in 1929 when the red brick building in Pinner Road was built. Its "houses", commemorating famous former residents of Harrow and one historical building, were Byron, Becket, Shaftesbury and Manor. Colours, in the order of the houses given, were Green, Blue, Red and Orange.
The left hand side of the school's crest is based on the medieval coat of arms of Middlesex, a county of England now absorbed into London. It shows three Anglo-Saxon short notched swords or seaxes (the names 'seax' and 'Saxon' may be related).
Notable former pupils
- Simon Le Bon - Lead singer of Duran Duran. His mother, Ann Brookes, also attended the school (1946–51)
- Jane March - Actress & "Sinner From Pinner"
- Simon Patterson - Footballer
- Marcus Bean - Footballer
- Alex Lowe - comedian, writer and performer. Also the man behind 'Barry from Watford'
- Parker Ighile - Music producer and artist
- Saffron Vahder - Model
- Mr C.J. Boyden (September 1, 1929 - September 1, 1943)
- H.W.J. Manson (September 1, 1943 - September 1, 1963)
- Mr E.J.R. Dey (September 1, 1963 - September 1, 1969)
- Mr F.R.H. Gristwood (September 1, 1969 - September 1, 1983)
- Mr S.P. Hensby (September 1, 1983 - September 1, 1999)
- Mr H. Freed (September 1, 2000 - September 1, 2013)
- Mr C.J. Livesey (September 1, 2013 - Incumbent)
- "History & Background". Nower Hill High School. Archived from the original on 2011-01-27. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- Doherty, F., The Anglo Saxon Broken Back Seax. Retrieved on 20 February 2008
- Online Etymology Dictionary - Saxon. Retrieved on 20 February 2008.
- Civic Heraldry of England and Wales - Greater London. Retrieved on 20 February 2008.