|Original author(s)||Isaac Z. Schlueter|
|Developer(s)||Rebecca Turner, Kat Marchán, others|
|Initial release||January 12, 2010|
6.1.0 / 17 May 2018
|License||Artistic License 2.0|
- In February 2018, an issue was discovered in version 5.7.1 in which running 'sudo npm' on Linux systems would change the ownership of system files, permanently breaking the operating system.
- In July 2018, the npm credentials of a maintainer of the popular
eslint-scopepackage were compromised resulting in a malicious release of
3.7.2. The malicious code copies the npm credentials of the machine running
eslint-scopeand uploads them to the attacker. 
- "Earliest releases of npm". GitHub. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Release v6.1.0 · npm/npm". GitHub. 2018-05-17. Archived from the original on 2018-06-03. Retrieved 2018-06-03.
- "kik, left-pad, and npm". Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- "changes to unpublish policy". Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- "Critical Linux filesystem permissions are being changed by latest version". GitHub. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- "Virus in eslint-scope".
- Dierx, Peter (30 March 2016). "A Beginner's Guide to npm — the Node Package Manager". sitepoint. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Ampersand.js. "Ampersand.js - Learn". ampersandjs.com. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Ojamaa, Andres; Duuna, Karl (2012). "Assessing the Security of Node.js Platform". IEEE Xplore. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Kennedy, Hugh; DeVay, Paul. "Understanding npm". Nsight. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "npm Code of Conduct: acceptable package content". Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- Vorbach, Paul. "npm-stat: download statistics for NPM packages". npm-stat.com.
- Ellingwood, Justin. "How To Use npm to Manage Node.js Packages on a Linux Server". DigitalOcean. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "npm-install". docs.npmjs. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "semver". docs.npmjs. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "npm-version". docs.npm. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- Koirala, Shivprasad (21 Aug 2017). "What is the need of package-lock.json in Node?". codeproject.
- "Hello, Yarn!". The npm Blog. 11 October 2016. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- Katz, Yehuda (11 October 2016). "Why I'm working on Yarn". Retrieved 17 December 2016.