|Region||Western Region of Uganda|
|Elevation||4,600 ft (1,400 m)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
Ntungamo is about 66 kilometres (41 mi), by road, southwest of the town of Mbarara, the largest metropolitan area in the Ankole sub-region, on the highway between Mbarara and Kabale. This is approximately 360 kilometres (220 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, the capital and largest city of Uganda. The coordinates of the town are 0°52'55.0"S, 30°15'55.0"E (Latitude:-0.881944; Longitude:30.265278).
Ntungamo is a growing town, located on the Mbarara-Kabale highway. A tarmacked road branches off at Ntungamo to lead to Rukungiri. The town, as of November 2013, was grappling with rapid growth, sanitation, and water supply issues.
The 2002 national census put the population of the town at 13,320. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population at 16,100. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population at 16,400. In 2014, the national population census conducted in August that year put the population at 18,854.
Points of interest
The following additional points of interest lie within the town limits or near the town borders:
- offices of Ntungamo Town Council
- Ntungamo central market
- Karegyeya Rock Shelter
- Itojo Hospital, a public 120-bed hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health, located 22 kilometres (14 mi), northeast of Ntungamo, on the Mbarara-Kabale road
- Ntungamo-Rukungiri road, an all-tarmac road, starting here and ending in Rukungiri, 50 kilometres (31 mi) to the northwest.
- UBOS (29 November 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "Distance Between Mbarara And Ntungamo With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Ntungamo With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- Google (19 July 2015). "Location of Ntungamo At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- Ssenkaaba, Stephen (8 November 2013). "Ntungamo’s Growth Blind to Hygiene". New Vision. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- UBOS. "Estimated Population of Ntungamo In 2002, 2010 And 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Map Showing Ntungamo And Rukungiri With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 8 June 2014.