|privately held company|
|Founded||6 May 2013|
|Founders||David Velez, Edward Wible, Cristina Junqueira|
|Products||credit card, point rewards, digital account, personal loans|
|+10 million customers|
Number of employees
Nubank is the largest fintech in Latin America and one of the most innovative companies in the world, according to the 2019 Fast Company ranking. Its headquarters are located in São Paulo, Brazil, and the company also has an engineering office in Berlin, Germany, and an office in Mexico City, Mexico.
Among the company's products are NuConta (a digital account), an international credit card, both without fees, and personal loans. The company's differentiating factor is to offer a credit card which is controlled completely through the means of a mobile app. The app allows its users to track transactions in real time, block their respective credit card, apply for a limit raise and contact customer support.
Altogether, Nubank has over 8 million customers in Brazil.
Nubank was founded in 2013 by Colombian David Vélez, Brazilian Cristina Junqueira and American Edward Wible. The first transaction with a Nubank card was made in April 1, 2014. Four years later, the fintech became a unicorn startup by reaching a valuation of US$1 billion.
Some of Nubank's investors are Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, Kaszek Ventures, Tiger Global Management, Goldman Sachs, QED Investors and DST Global. In the company's first two years of existence, it raised 600 million Brazilian reais.
In 2017, Nubank also launched its loyalty program, Nubank Rewards. The program's points (which never expire) can be redeemed for a product catalogue or discounts on services, travel and entertainment. Customers can try the program for free for 30 days, after which they will be charged a fee in order to further use it.
In the same year, it also launched its digital account, NuConta. In late 2018, it began offering payments through debit and, in early 2019, the fintech started testing personal loans with a few of its digital account users.
- Gagne, Yasmin (2019-02-19). "Banking in Brazil is hard. Here's how Nubank is changing that". Fast Company. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Olá, Berlim: Nubank abre seu primeiro escritório internacional". Fala, Nubank (in Portuguese). 2017-12-13. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank finalmente vira um bank - Tecnoblog". 24 October 2017.
- "Nubank aprimora plataforma digital e cria a NuConta - EXAME". exame.abril.com.br.
- "Nubank quebra recorde mundial e entra para o Guinness World Records". EXAME (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "NPS de 87 pontos: um número que reflete o compromisso do Nubank em encantar o cliente". Fala, Nubank (in Portuguese). 2019-05-29. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank é o terceiro unicórnio brasileiro - Link". Estadão (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank passa a valer US$ 500 milhões com nova rodada de investimentos". gizmodo.uol.com.br.
- Zogbi, Paula. "Nubank levanta R$ 271 milhões em nova rodada de investimentos". www.infomoney.com.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank prepara programa de milhagem - Economia". Estadão (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank lança funções débito e saque para clientes da NuConta". Valor Econômico (in Portuguese). 2018-12-11. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank começa a oferecer empréstimo pessoal – Negócios". Tecnoblog (in Portuguese). 2019-02-08. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank está chegando ao México". Fala, Nubank (in Portuguese). 2019-05-07. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Com escritório no México, Nubank inicia ofensiva internacional". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-05-30.