|Type||Privately held company|
|Founded||6 May 2013|
|Founders||David Velez, Edward Wible, Cristina Junqueira|
|+34 million customers|
Number of employees
Nubank is a Latin American neobank and the largest financial technology bank in Latin America. Its headquarters are located in São Paulo, Brazil. The company also has engineering offices in Berlin, Germany, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and an office in Mexico City, Mexico.
Among the company's products are NuConta (a digital account), an international credit card, both without fees, personal loans, life insurance and investments. The company's differentiating factor is to offer a credit card which is controlled completely through the means of a mobile app. The app allows its users to track transactions in real time, block their respective credit card, apply for a limit raise and contact customer support.
Today, Nubank has over 35 million customers in Brazil and 38 million customers all over the world.
In May 2021 Nubank presented the changes in its brand, with a slightly different purple, a bolder logo, but with softer shapes and a brand that reflects its new moment.
Nubank was founded in 2013 by Colombian David Vélez, Brazilian Cristina Junqueira and American Edward Wible. In April 2021, Edward Wible, who was CTO of the company for 8 years, left his position "to contribute more directly to the construction of the systems and infrastructure of the company" as the Director of Technological Platforms.
Some of Nubank's investors are Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, Kaszek Ventures, Tiger Global Management, Goldman Sachs, Berkshire Hathaway, QED Investors and DST Global. In the company's first two years of existence, it raised 600 million Brazilian reais.
In 2017, Nubank also launched its loyalty program, Nubank Rewards. The program's points (which never expire) can be redeemed for a product catalogue or discounts on services, travel and entertainment. Customers can try the program for free for 30 days, after which they will be charged a fee in order to further use it.
In the same year, it also launched its digital account, NuConta. In late 2018, it began offering payments through debit and, in early 2019, the fintech started testing personal loans with a few of its digital account users.
In January 2020, Nubank made its first acquisition with the purchase of Plataformatec, a company that specialized in software engineering and agile methodologies, thus continuing its growth by including the team of 50 developers of Platformatec. In July of the same year, the company also acquired Cognitect, responsible for Datomic and the Clojure programming language.
In September 2020, Nubank acquired Easyinvest, an investment broker also from Brazil for an undisclosed amount.
In September 2020, Nubank announced that the company would begin operations in Colombia.
- "Nubank reached 34 million clients". Business Insider. 29 January 2021. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- "Olá, Berlim: Nubank abre seu primeiro escritório internacional". Fala, Nubank (in Portuguese). 2017-12-13. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank finalmente vira um bank - Tecnoblog". 24 October 2017.
- "Nubank aprimora plataforma digital e cria a NuConta - EXAME". exame.abril.com.br.
- "Nubank quebra recorde mundial e entra para o Guinness World Records". EXAME (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank ultrapassa os 35 milhões de clientes no Brasil". Fala, Nubank (in Portuguese). 2021-03-14. Retrieved 2021-05-28.
- "Nubank Hires Former Amazon Executive as New Chief Technology Officer". Olhar digital.
- "Nubank é o terceiro unicórnio brasileiro - Link". Estadão (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank passa a valer US$ 500 milhões com nova rodada de investimentos". gizmodo.uol.com.br.
- Zogbi, Paula. "Nubank levanta R$ 271 milhões em nova rodada de investimentos". www.infomoney.com.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank prepara programa de milhagem - Economia". Estadão (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank lança funções débito e saque para clientes da NuConta". Valor Econômico (in Portuguese). 2018-12-11. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank começa a oferecer empréstimo pessoal – Negócios". Tecnoblog (in Portuguese). 2019-02-08. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Nubank está chegando ao México". Fala, Nubank (in Portuguese). 2019-05-07. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Com escritório no México, Nubank inicia ofensiva internacional". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "En busca de ingenieros, Nubank realiza su primera adquisición". Retrieved 2020-01-07.
- "Nubank adquire empresa norte-americana de tecnologia Cognitect". Valor Investe (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2020-11-19.