|Distributor(s)||RED Distribution (U.S.)
Fontana Distribution (U.S.)
Universal Music Group (Canada)
eOne Music (worldwide)
|Genre||Heavy metal, hard rock, hardcore punk, extreme metal|
|Country of origin||Germany|
Nuclear Blast is an independent record label and mail order record distributor with subsidiaries in Germany, the United States and Brazil. The record label was founded in 1987 by Markus Staiger in Germany. Originally releasing hardcore punk records, the label moved on to releasing albums by melodic death metal, grindcore, power metal and black metal bands, as well as tribute albums.
Nuclear Blast was formed in 1987 after founder Markus Staiger travelled throughout the United States for four weeks and saw a gig of his favorite band BL'AST!. The label's first release was a vinyl compilation called Senseless Death (NB 001) featuring US hardcore bands like Attitude, Sacred Denial, Impulse Manslaughter and others.
Swedish band Meshuggah became the first band in the history of Nuclear Blast Records to crack the Billboard 200, landing at number 165 with their 2002 album, Nothing. Meshuggah also became the first Nuclear Blast band to be reviewed in Rolling Stone magazine.
In 2004, Finnish symphonic metal band Nightwish released Once on Nuclear Blast, which rocketed to the top of the charts in multiple countries, including Finland, Germany, Norway, Greece, Sweden, Austria, and more. It became the first release in the company's history to reach number 1 on the German charts. Slayer released the album Repentless in 2015 which went to number 4 on the Billboard 200 making it the highest charting Nuclear Blast release in the USA.
- "Nuclear Blast page in The Orchard".
- Grow, Kory (April 24, 2014). "Slayer Debut New Song 'Implode' During Surprise Golden Gods Appearance". Rolling Stone. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- "Nuclear Blast History".
- "Meshuggah Breaking New Ground With 'Nothing' - Sep. 8, 2002". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2009-04-06.
- "History 2003-2007 - Nuclear Blast".
- Nuclear Blast Europe
- Nuclear Blast USA
- Nuclear Blast publishing catalog at MusicBrainz
- Nuclear Blast on Discogs
- Nuclear Blast Europe Twitter
- Nuclear Blast USA Twitter
- Nuclear Blast Europe Facebook
- Nuclear Blast USA Facebook
- Nuclear Blast YouTube
- Meet the Team : Nuclear Blast - [PIAS]'s Blog, 27 January 2015