Nueva Italia, Paraguay
|Elevation||130 m (430 ft)|
|• Total||3 367|
Nueva Italia was created in 1904 by the Paraguay government in order to establish some colonists from Italy and their 18 families in a farming area 40 km south of the capital Asunción. However also some German and Ucranian emigrants moved to live there.
The first manager-administrator of this Colonia Nueva Italia (as was officially named) was the Italian count Enrico Statella. After WW1 many Italians returned to Italy or moved to the capital Asuncion, but the settlement -after an initial crisis- survived & remained as a small agricultural center. Mura, Musto and Carolini were some of the Italian families that remained and perfectly integrated with the local Paraguayan population.
In 1956 was created the Distrito Nueva Italia, that in the 2010s have nearly 20,000 inhabitants.
The city is located to the north of the "Distrito Nueva Italia" and has a perfect square shape, because of the original urban planning promoted by count Enrico Statella.
The District "Nueva Italia"
The "Central department" of Paraguay (with the "Greater Asuncion" metropolitan area) is divided in 19 districts. The one located in the most southern section is Nueva Italia:
|Fernando de la Mora||21||113.560|
|Julián Augusto Saldívar||948||37.374|
|Mariano Roque Alonso||122||65.229|
- José Cardozo, football player.
- Italiani di Nueva Italia, p. 425
- Mura family in Nueva Italia (in Spanish)
- Video on the history of Nueva Italia (in Spanish)
- "Nueva Italia". Archived from the original on 2011-01-22. Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- Nueva Italia testimony (in Spanish)
- Tourism possibilities, with photos (in Spanish)
- Maps detailed and data on Nueva Italia and its District