|Occupants||1st Australian Task Force|
|Elevation AMSL||115 ft / 35 m|
Nui Dat (Núi Đất) is a former 1st Australian Task Force (1 ATF) base now part of Ba Ria city in Ba Ria–Vung Tau province, Vietnam. It is not the name of an official ward, it just means "dirt hill" (núi đất).
In 1966, when the area was part of the then Phuoc Tuy Province it was the location of a prominent 1 ATF military base in South Vietnam during the Vietnam War. The site was chosen by Lieutenant General John Wilton in 1966 and was built mainly by men from the 6th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment. The occupation of Nui Dat required the removal of all inhabitants from within a 4,000-metre (2.5 mi) radius of the base in order to ensure the security of the facility. Ultimately this policy—which was an unusual step among allied bases in Vietnam—required the resettlement of the villages of Long Tan, with a population of 1000, and Long Phuoc, with a population of 3000. Both villages were subsequently destroyed; a task which was complete by July 1966. After the withdrawal of Australian forces in December 1972, the base was "stripped bare".
- Grant 1992, p. 270.
- Ham 2007, p. 188.
- McNeill 1993, pp. 240–241.
- Guest & McNeill 1992, p. 174.
- Kelley 2002, pp. 5–368.
- Grant, Ian (1992). A Dictionary of Australian Military History. Milsons Point, New South Wales: Random House. ISBN 9780091825928.
- Guest, Robert; McNeill, Ian (1992). The Team in Pictures: A Pictorial History of the Australian Army Training Team Vietnam, 1962–1972. Canberra, Australian Capital Territory: National Executive, Australian Army Training Team Vietnam Association. ISBN 9780646104447.
- Ham, Paul (2007). Vietnam: The Australian War. Sydney: Harper Collins. ISBN 978-0-7322-8237-0.
- Kelley, Michael (2002). Where We Were in Vietnam: A Comprehensive Guide to the Firebases, Military Installations, and Naval Vessels of the Vietnam War. Central Point: Hellgate Press. ISBN 978-1555716257.
- McNeill, Ian (1993). To Long Tan: The Australian Army and the Vietnam War 1950–1966. St Leonards: Allen & Unwin. ISBN 1-86373-282-9.
- Nui Dat – Australian Task Force Base – Department of Veterans Affairs (Australia)
|This article about a location in Bà Rịa-Vũng Tàu Province, Vietnam is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|