Nullo (body modification)
The term nullo (or smoothie) refers to an extreme body modification subculture made up mostly of men who have had their genitals (and sometimes also their nipples) surgically removed. Nullos are not necessarily transgender; most identify as eunuchs. The term nullo is short for genital nullification. Though the procedure is mostly sought by men, there are women who also voluntarily have their vagina stitched closed and clitoris removed.
One of the most famous nullos is Mao Sugiyama, a Japanese artist and asexual activist who in 2012 had his genitals surgically removed, cooked, and served to paying guests at a public banquet. Cannibalism is not a crime under Japanese law. Sugiyama, who uses the nickname "Ham Cybele", also had his nipples removed.
- Margo DeMello (2007). Encyclopedia of Body Adornment. ABC-CLIO. pp. 57–. ISBN 978-0-313-33695-9.
- Knibbs, Kate (2015-05-14). "The Most Extreme Body Hacks That Actually Change Your Physical Abilities". Gizmodo. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- Lee Harrington (1 May 2016). Traversing Gender: Understanding Transgender Realities. Mystic Productions Press. pp. 23–. ISBN 978-1-942733-83-6.
- "Japanese Asexual Activist-Artist Slices off his Genitalia, Serves at Banquet".
- "Mao Sugiyama's Ham Cybele Genital Banquet".