Numb (Rihanna song)
|Song by Rihanna featuring Eminem|
|from the album Unapologetic|
|Unapologetic track listing|
"Numb" is a song by Barbadian singer Rihanna from her seventh studio album Unapologetic (2012). It features guest vocals by American rapper Eminem, making it the pair's third collaboration since the two official versions of "Love the Way You Lie". Following the album's release, "Numb" charted on multiple charts worldwide including in Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Composition and lyrical interpretation
"Numb" lasts for a duration of 3:25. The song's instrumentation consists of an Egyptian flute riff and "a crashing bombastic beat." "Numb" contains a sample of Kanye West's song "Can't Tell Me Nothing", written by West and Aldrin Davis. The lyric "Let the champagne smash/ Let that man get cash" from "Can't Tell Me Nothing" is the sample used in "Numb". The song's lyrical content is "controversial" as it is about feeling "numb after taking drugs." and a "homage to getting high." Rihanna performs the lines
"Ecstasy in the air
I don't care Can't tell me nothing I'm impairedThe worst for wear"
in the first verse. Eminem "spits" his verse, performing the lines
"Yeah, yeah, yeah, come here dear
Trying to get closer to you I'm motioning you to pull over boo I'm the siren that you hearI'm the butt police, and I'm looking at your rear, rear, rear."
Upon the release of Unapologetic, "Numb" charted in several territories due to strong digital downloads. On November 25, 2012, the song entered the UK Singles Chart at number 92, and the UK R&B Chart at number 13. It also debuted at number 99 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart. In the United States, the song debuted at number 42 on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. It also debuted at number 14 on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Digital Songs chart, and at number 16 on the US R&B Songs chart.
Credits and personnel
- Vocals recorded at Westlake Recording Studios, Los Angeles, CA; Metropolis Studios, London, UK.
- Mixed at Larrabee Studios, Burbank, CA.
- Contains samples of "Can't Tell Me Nothing" performed by Kanye West, courtesy of the Island Def Jam Recordings. Written by Kanye West, Aldrin Davis and Connie Mitchell.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||99|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||92|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||13|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||42|
- Ritchie, Kevin (November 22, 2012). "Rihanna — Unapologetic". Now. 32 (12). Toronto. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "iTunes — Music — Unapologetic by Rihanna". iTunes Store (GB). Apple. November 19, 2012. Retrieved November 22, 2012.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- "Rihanna Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- "Rihanna Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- "US R&B/Hip-hop Digital Songs — Week of December 8, 2012". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. December 8, 2012. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- "US R&B Songs — Week of December 8, 2012". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. December 8, 2012. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- Unapologetic (inlay cover). Rihanna. Def Jam Recordings, SRP. 2012. p. 19.
- "Lescharts.com – Rihanna feat. Eminem – Numb" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved December 1, 2012.