Number Scrabble (also known as Pick15 or 3 to 15) is a mathematical game where players take turns to select numbers from 1 to 9 without repeating any numbers previously used, and the first player to amass a personal total of exactly 15 wins the game. The game is isomorphic to tic-tac-toe, as can be seen if the game is mapped onto a magic square.
Number Scrabble is played with the list of numbers between 1 and 9. Each player takes turns picking a number from the list. Once a number has been picked, it cannot be picked again. If a player has picked three numbers that add up to 15, that player wins the game. However, if all the numbers are used and no player gets exactly 15, the game is a draw.
The game is identical to tic-tac-toe, as can be seen by reference to a 3x3 magic square: if a player has selected three numbers which can be found in a line on a magic square, they will add up to 15. If they have selected any other three numbers, they will not.
- Michon, John A. (1 January 1967). "The Game of JAM: An Isomorph of Tic-Tac-Toe". The American Journal of Psychology. 80 (1): 137–140. doi:10.2307/1420555. JSTOR 1420555.
- Simon, Herbert A. (1969). The Sciences of the Artificial. MIT Press. ISBN 9780262264495.
Here are the rules of a game, which I shall call number scrabble.
- Cazenave, Tristan; Winands, Mark H. M.; Edelkamp, Stefan; Schiffel, Stephan; Thielscher, Michael; Togelius, Julian (2016-05-11). Computer Games: Fourth Workshop on Computer Games, CGW 2015, and the Fourth Workshop on General Intelligence in Game-Playing Agents, GIGA 2015, Held in Conjunction with the 24th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, IJCAI 2015, Buenos Aires, Argentina, July 26-27, 2015, Revised Selected Papers. Springer. ISBN 9783319394022.
- Ham, Ethan (2015-06-19). Tabletop Game Design for Video Game Designers. CRC Press. ISBN 9781317536048.
- Juul, Jesper (2011-08-19). Half-Real: Video Games Between Real Rules and Fictional Worlds. MIT Press. ISBN 9780262516518.
- "TicTacToe Magic" (PDF). December 11, 2016. Retrieved December 11, 2016.
- "Fifteen : nrich.maths.org". nrich.maths.org. Retrieved 2016-12-11.
- Math!, Oh Boy I. Get To Do (2015-05-30). "Oh Boy! I Get to do Math!: Tic-Tac-Toe as a Magic Square". Oh Boy! I Get to do Math!. Retrieved 2016-12-11.