Numbers 1 & 2
|Numbers 1 & 2|
|Studio album by Lester Bowie|
|Recorded||August 11 & 25 1967|
|Lester Bowie chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Numbers 1 & 2 is a 1967 album by Lester Bowie featuring a line-up which later became the Art Ensemble of Chicago. It was released on the Nessa label and features performances by Bowie, Roscoe Mitchell, Malachi Favors, and Joseph Jarman.
The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow awarded the album 3 stars stating "The pretty spontaneous music often wanders and rambles a bit, reaching some surprising conclusions and showing expert use of space; very advanced for 1967".
- "Number 1" - 21:37
- "Number 2" - 24:27
- All compositions by Roscoe Mitchell except as indicated
- "Number 1" recorded August 11, 1967, "Number 2" recorded August 25, 1967 at Sound Studios.
- Roscoe Mitchell: alto saxophone, soprano saxophone, flute, recorder, gourd, bells, gong
- Lester Bowie: trumpet, flugelhorn, steer horn, kelp horn
- Malachi Favors: bass, kazoo
- Joseph Jarman: alto saxophone, soprano saxophone, clarinet, bassoon, bells (on "Number 2")