Nutricia is a part of the Danone group that specialises in therapeutic food and clinical nutrition. Products range from infant formula to specialised nutrition for babies with specific needs and for breastfeeding mothers. It also produces and markets special clinical nutrition, diet products and disease-specific nutrition.
De Stoomzuivelfabriek, the predecessor of Nutricia was born in 1896 in Zoetermeer, Netherlands. In 1901 it was renamed to Nutricia. It soon started developing medical nutrition products, and later it entered the baby food market.
Cow & Gate was bought by Nutricia in 1981.
Milupa was founded as a successor to an industrial bakery created in 1903 in Bad Homburg vor der Höhe. It initially focussed on bakery and chocolate, then on baby food. In 1995 it was bought by Nutricia.
In 1998 the group got the name "NUMICO", formed by NUtricia, MIlupa and COw & Gate.
In 1999, the NUMICO group started operations in India as Nutricia (India) Private Limited that acquired the dairy products division of Hindustan Lever Limited (Unilever India) and its associated Indian brands Anik, Anikspray and Anik Ghee.
On 2007-07-09, a €12.3 billion offer for the company by French rival Danone was accepted by the Numico board. Danone announced ownership of over 90% of Numico's shares on 31 October 2007, declaring its offer for the remainder unconditional. As a result, Numico was removed from the AEX index. The company's shares were delisted from the Amsterdam Stock Exchange at the end of 2007 as Danone gained full control. The brands owned by Numico (Milupa, Nutricia and Cow & Gate) became under control of Danone.
- Goswami, Nandini (25 June 1999). "Nutricia to ride Lever's sales network for 3 years". Financial Express. Indian Express group. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- Chatterjee, Purvita (27 August 2001). "Nutricia foray into baby cereal -- Plans to extend franchise of Anik brand". www.thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- Zachariah, Reeba (November 3, 2003). "Nutricia to exit India". www.rediff.com. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "Hindustan Lever set to divest dairy wing to Nutricia India". Financial Express. 21 May 1999.
- "Danone to Offer 12.3 Billion Euros for Numico". CNBC. 2007-07-09. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-07-09.
- "Danone says Numico bid unconditional, holds 90.5 pct". Reuters. 31 October 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- "Delisting of shares" (PDF). Euronext. 29 November 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 2008-02-19.