|Born||Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Known for||Hip Hip Hurray|
Nupur Asthana is an Indian film director and writer known for her work in Hindi cinema and television. She made her debut on Indian television with the 1998 TV series Hip Hip Hurray. Her film debut was the 2011 youth film Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge produced by the Y-Films banner - the youth arm of Yashraj Films.
Asthana grew up in Kolkata and Hyderabad. She studied English Literature at Lady Shri Ram College for Women (LSR), Delhi University. She was actively involved in amateur theatre and headed the dramatics society in her college. She did her post graduation in Social Communications Media from Sophia Polytechnic, Mumbai.
- She started her career as an intern with film maker Ketan Mehta. Later she was the Chief Assistant Director on the film Aar Ya Paar where she was also the voice of Kamal Sidhu.
- She debuted as a writer and director on Indian Television with the prime time TV series Hip Hip Hurray on Zee Tv. The story is based on the lives of 12th grade students ,their adventures, their fears and hopes, and their relationships and interactions. The show is considered to be a cult hit to this date.
- She then moved on to direct the prime time drama miniseries Hubahu on Sony TV .The story revolves around a pair of twin sisters who exchange places for a lark but end up getting intricately involved in each other's lives. Hubahu starred Sandhya Mridul in the lead who played the double role of twins Aditi and Ananya who exchange lives. It also starred Rajat Kapoor, Mohan Kapoor and Suchitra Pillai.
- After the success of the shows Hip Hip Hurray and Hubahu she co-directed the action adventure miniseries Time Bomb 9/11 with Ketan Mehta.
- She then directed the TV miniseries Mahi Way on Sony TV produced by YRF Television. The story traces the journey of a large girl Mahi Talwar,essayed by Pushtiie Shaktie, who is a target of body shaming and who also struggles with her own insecurities and rejections.The show is an amazing journey of self discovery as Mahi finally embraces her true self amidst all odds and crumbling relationships.
- Nupur debuted as a director with the film Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge which was produced by Y - Films, the youth banner under Yashraj Films.. Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge is a young teen film that explores today's obsession with the online world that constantly clashes with the real world and the tussle between them. It unanimously got excellent reviews. Midday called it "A fantastic debut by Nupur Ashtana, who has managed to keep the movie light and breezy just like the relationships and friendships in campuses generally are.”
- She directed the romantic comedy Bewakoofiyaan which was produced by Yashraj Films . The film stars Sonam Kapoor, Ayushmann Khurranna and Rishi Kapoor.
- She directed another miniseries Romil and Jugal on Alt Balaji. The show is a modern, homosexual, spin on the classic tale of Shakespeare's Romeo-Juliet where Punjabi playboy Romil and shy Tam-Brahm Jugal come to terms with their sexuality and face the orthodox society. The show was greatly appreciated for breaking the stereotypes and received rave reviews by both the audience and the critics.
- Nupur Asthana was nominated for the best debut director at The Screen Awards for her film Mujhse Fraandship Karoge.
- "7 Unknown Facts About Your Favorite '90s Series Hip Hip Hurray". ZETC Bollywood. 2016-01-07.
- "Mohan Kapoor". 2017-09-24.
- "Suchitra Pillai-Malik". 2017-07-24.
- ""The absence of a powerful script can undo all efforts that go into direction." : Nupur Asthana". Indian Television Dot Com.
- "Mahi Way". Wikipedia. 2017-09-01.
- "Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge". Wikipedia.
- "Y-Films". Wikipedia. 2017-08-19.
- "Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge? : Fun and frolicking". mid-day.
- "'I wanted a fun narrative about same sex romance,' says 'Romil and Jugal' director Nupur Asthana". Scroll.in.
- "Alt Balaji Romil and Jugal". altbalaji.com.
- "Romil and Jugal Review: Manraj Singh and Rajeev Siddhartha are fabulous in this heartwarming tale of same sex relationships".
- "Ekta Kapoor's Romil and Jugal is a modern, gay take on Romeo-Juliet. Actors Rajeev Siddhartha and Manraj Singh reveal more".
- "Nupur Asthana". veethi.com.